Odd spell-check behavior with hyphenated words

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jhecht

Odd spell-check behavior with hyphenated words

Post by jhecht »

I've encountered an odd spell-check bug in NWE 3.1 which may not have been present in earlier versions.

If I make a typo in a hyphenated word, and run a spell-check using COMMAND-; (my standard procedure), it flags the whole hyphenated sequence when there's an error in one word, e.g. solid-sptate for solid-state. If the first word is spelled correctly, hitting COMMAND-OPTION-; , which usually puts up possible corrections, instead puts the cursor at the hyphen. That's fine, and when I hit COMMAND-; again it highlights the misspelled word. But when I hit COMMAND-OPTION-; again to get spelling alternatives, it doesn't display them, instead going back to showing the cursor just before the hyphen. I can correct by using the mouse to pick the right spelling, but that slows me down. The spell-check does work as expected when the first word is misspelled.

I think this behavior is new in 3.1 or perhaps in 3.0, but I haven't gone back and checked. Any idea what's happening? It's not a fatal mistake, but it's annoying.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Odd spell-check behavior with hyphenated words

Post by martin »

It seems like there's something amiss here; we'll take a look. Thanks for letting us know.
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

Just for the record, I upgraded to 3.2 soon after it came out, and the problem is still present. I noted it today while trying to spell-check "paleo-biologlist". When the cursor was at the hyphen, asking for a correction automatically converted "paleo" to "pale" and ignored the misspelling of biologist.

Any progress in finding the problem?

Thanks,
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Often times we get bug reports (like yours) that are filed after a particular version of Nisus Writer is already finalized, even though it may not yet be released. Also, it's an unfortunate reality that we simply can't fix all reported bugs immediately, so it may take some time. I do know this bug was filed in our database, so please be patient.