Double spacing in NWP

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
robotank

Double spacing in NWP

Post by robotank »

In contrast to most word processors, NWP, when set to 2x line spacing, places the empty line space above the characters instead of below it. I'm wondering two things: 1) Is there a particular reason that it works this way? 2) Is it possible to change it? (If I want the margin measurement to be the precise distance to the text on the top of the page rather than the bottom.)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Double spacing in NWP

Post by martin »

The line spacing is placed above the characters instead of afterwards because that's simply how it works in Apple's text engine, which NWP uses. I'm honestly not sure why they chose that layout arrangement, but it doesn't seem to be the most practical from a user's perspective. Unfortunately there's definitely no way for you to change it, sorry.
shades

Post by shades »

I think that is because typographically, line spacing is always determined from the bottom of the letters that form the line. Thus line spacing above would make sense.

But that is just my conjecture. Perhaps our vertical-ruler-requester from Australia can enlighten us. ;) :D

:)
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

robotank wrote:In contrast to most word processors, NWP, when set to 2x line spacing, places the empty line space above the characters instead of below it. I'm wondering two things: 1) Is there a particular reason that it works this way? 2) Is it possible to change it? (If I want the margin measurement to be the precise distance to the text on the top of the page rather than the bottom.)
Can you not set your top margin to what you want minus the amount of the line spacing? That should bring the line up to the same point ... if you wanted a 1" top margin and are using 12 point type, you set your top margin to 57.6 points, since the line spacing would presumably be 14.4 points assuming standard leading; that would add up to 72 points ... unless my maths is totally up the creek.

A bit kludgy, but it might work.

Mark
robotank

Post by robotank »

Thanks everyone for the information.
Can you not set your top margin to what you want minus the amount of the line spacing? That should bring the line up to the same point ... if you wanted a 1" top margin and are using 12 point type, you set your top margin to 57.6 points, since the line spacing would presumably be 14.4 points assuming standard leading; that would add up to 72 points ... unless my maths is totally up the creek.

A bit kludgy, but it might work.
I tried doing that, but it never seemed to work quite right (the margins on the printed sheet didn't measure up). I thought I only that a line was only 14 points, so maybe I'll try again with 14.4. Either way, it's not a big deal. I noticed that Bean does the same thing, and I'm guessing that Apple's Pages would too. Any time you type double spaced with 12 point type and 1" margins on an 8.5x11 sheet, the margins will be off a line either on the top or the bottom. The MLA format guidelines I have to work within are very specific, but they don't seem to acknowledge this fact, so I guess none of my profs could reasonably complain that my top margin is larger than specifications.

Cheers.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

There is no reason for this except Apple's fat-headedness.

Does the top margin matter that much? I mean, if all pages are using double space, then all will have a consistent margin (the most important point) provided you are using the same type size throughout.

Setting it up with a points calaculation to get an exact margin in points which allows for the spacing above the line is another way, but again that suffers from any change in type size.

Then again, if the extra space is put UNDER the line, any change in type size, e.g. for a heading, will give you the ugly situation where the space above the larger heading type will be less than the space below it.

A better way is not to use double spacing at all. Set your type to single line, then add the desired space "after". In the case of 12 point type, you want to add 12 points (if you are on single line). Add more or less if you feel like it. The value of doing this is that if you move up to large type for a headline, the space "after" will remain the same as for the body text, which will look much better on the page and, in fact, be better for reading.

Further, if you want to vary this globally (e.g. to fit in that last line on to a page or whatever) you can simply select the whole text and change the space after and get a uniform change throughout.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

But am I not right in thinking that the "Points after" is paragraph spacing, so won't give double line spacing, which is the thing the OP needs? If that is the case, single line spacing +12 after won't give the same result.

Mark
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Good grief, Mark, absolutely. Give me one moment and I'll get my head working again. :roll:
Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
robotank

Post by robotank »

Thanks for all your posts--you guys have been really helpful. Reducing the top margin by 14.4 points works nicely around the issue.

Cheers. :D
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Don't mention it ... it's a pleasure to be able to help.

Mark

Edited in later: After a brief experimentation, and much as I hate to say it, it looks as if Pages adds the space below the line. Am I surprised? No ... Pages uses its own text engine, not the Apple text engine behind TextEdit and many third party apps including Nisus. We can perhaps wonder why! Conspiracy theories, anyone?
mrglsmrc

Post by mrglsmrc »

if it bugs you that much, can't you reformat the first line on every page to be single-spaced with a macro or somethin' ?
cheers,
marc