download questions

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
peridot

download questions

Post by peridot »

I'm using version 2.7 & want to download the newest version of nwe. Is this a seamless procedure? Does the new version just write over the old one or do I have to delete the old one first? Will my docs make the transition safely? What's the difference between disk image (47MB) and mirror? Which one should I choose? Sorry to be so confused but I haven't done this before. Thanks for your help.
mrennie

Re: download questions

Post by mrennie »

You can download the disk image from the default location, but there might be "mirrors", i.e. alternative download locations. These mirrors have no impact on the file itself, which will always remain the same, so go ahead and download from anywhere you want. As for the installation: you simply need to drag the application from the disk image into your Applications folder, and the Finder will ask you whether you want to replace the older file. Choose Yes, and the old application will be overwritten by the new one. Your documents are not affected by the transition; they will continue to open flawlessly in the new version, and might in fact look better than before because of the many big fixes that made it into version 3. Keep in mind though that version 3 is a paid-for upgrade; you cannot use it with your old 2.x license. Instead, you will have to buy a new license (as an owner of a previous version, you are entitled to the upgrade price).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks to mrennie for his thorough reply- everything he's said is correct.

You may also be interested in a discussion of the terms "disk image" and "mirror" in this thread. About 4 posts down I also give a step-by-step list of instructions for installing an upgrade.
peridot

Post by peridot »

Thank you Martin & mrennie...

mrennie instructed: "you simply need to drag the application from the disk image into your Applications folder, and the Finder will ask you whether you want to replace the older file. Choose Yes, and the old application will be overwritten by the new one."

However, in his step-by-step instructions below Martin says: move the old copy from your App folder to the trash & copy the new NWE to your app folder. He doesn't refer to a query about replacing the older file with the new one.

These 2 directions seem contradictory...can you help sort me out? Thanks.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Hi peridot,

both methods are valid. In fact, the method I suggested does what Martin has recommended, except that it does so in fewer steps. When you replace an application, the old file gets deleted automatically, so there is no need to manually delete the old file prior to installing the new application; just let the new one overwrite the old one. Or delete the old one first. It doesn't matter.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

mrennie is correct, either way will work just fine. Personally I'm more inclined to move things to the trash instead of deleting/replacing them outright just in case something with the new version isn't right and I want to restore the old one.