NWP Like App for Windows?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Groucho

Re: NWP Like App for Windows?

Post by Groucho »

Geoff, you can edit the post whenever you want. Just click on the EDIT button on the upper right corner. You can even delete it.

Cheers, Henry.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Ah, thanks, Hen3ry. I hadn't noticed that -- nor the "quote" button which I had been searching for (my premature submission came after constructing the quotation structure).

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Back to the topic...

In my experience (and yours may vary), I've noticed that Mac software is much more specialized than Windows software. Windows software as a rule takes the Office model, do everything at once and nothing very well. On the Mac, there is much more demand for elegance and solutions that work rather than solutions that kind of do everything. One of the reasons (among many) that I stay with the Macintosh is that I can't figure out how I would work without apps like NWP, Scrivener, or even Pages. Simply the ability on NWP to assign multikey shortcuts (which is found in no other program that I know of) keeps me from moving to Windows. How would I write without it? And full screen? Have you ever seen how Word does full screen?

Anyway, that's what makes the Macintosh special. The software. Although we are often decried as fanatics, there is a reason that we love the Mac so much, and a lot of those reasons are developers like Nisus and others.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hey, Scotty, AppleWorks (WP, database, spreadsheet, graphics) was the finest integrated "office" type software yet seen; elegant in all its modes and expandable through AppleScript. (Its outline mode was pretty useless, but.) But further -- it followed a tradition of "AppleWorks" programs tghat started pre-Mac.

One of the problems with the Mac in the beginning was that Apple didn't make an AppleWorks for it. People didn't want to switch from
Apple II because they had whole businesses built on AppleWorks.

Canvas (vector graphics, raster graphics, DTP, web, presentation) was/is the finest integrated graphics software yet seen (and now being killed off by ACDSystems, primarily a Windows company).

RagTime is another -- WP, DTP, Spreadsheet, some graphics. Oddly, no database!

All developed on and for the Mac, then ported to Windows.

Both AW and Canvas no longer developed for Mac, although Canvas will continue to be my main work tool for many years.

In fact, the "office" suites reflect the failure of the "works" programs on Windows (Microsoft Works was pathetic on both platforms).

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

I've tried a lot of programs and always end up editing my college papers in NWP. Oh well, I think Papyrus is nice as is Word Perfect. I'll pick one of them for my intermittent Windows XP usage. Thanks.