Nisus Writer Pro 1.1 Released

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Pro 1.1 Released

Post by martin »

Version 1.1 has been released! Download the full version or an update from 1.0.x. This version requires that you are running 10.4 (Tiger) or later.
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Martin,

Once again, thanks to you and all of the guys and gals of Nisus for all of the hard work. 1.1 looks and works great!

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
foobar

Post by foobar »

FYI, doing a "Check for updates" within 1.0.3 is still reporting that "Your version is current" as of this morning.
mathewmitchell

Post by mathewmitchell »

I see the final 1.1 version has toolbar items for commenting. Thanks!

However, I don't see any way to export Comments. Am I missing something? (Quite possible.) I know having ways to export comments was much requested during the public beta phase. Any updates?
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Thanks for NWP 1.1 Perfect…
Well, almost perfect.
This ungrateful forever unsatisfied user still misses «her» back-up copy in another location (by the way, the Macro Martin suggested does not work, it says there is a mistake in Line 1) - not to mention (to what would no doubt be popular acclaim) the … guess! Yeah! The VERTICAL RULER :love:
Anne
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the kudos! Sorry we couldn't get to all the good suggestions offered up on the forum. We always want to do more, but at the same time we know you don't want to wait forever for each update.
foobar wrote:FYI, doing a "Check for updates" within 1.0.3 is still reporting that "Your version is current" as of this morning.
Thanks for letting us know, but this is actually intentional. We like to stagger the groups of people that are updating. Forum goers always get to hear about the update first and the "check for updates" crowd will be notified by the weekend.
mathewmitchell wrote:However, I don't see any way to export Comments.
Unfortunately you're not missing anything. However, here's a macro that handles the basics:

Code: Select all

Require Application Version 3.1
$sourceDoc = Document.active

# create a new document for all comments
New
$destDoc = Document.active
$destDoc.clearAndDisableUndoHistory

# inspect every text in the current document
ForEach $text in $sourceDoc.allTexts
	If 'comment' == $text.documentContentType
		# add comment header
		$destDoc.insertText("Comment\n", 'sn')
		Bold
		Select End

# append the comment text to the destination
		$destDoc.insertText($text, 'm')
		$destDoc.insertText("\n\n", 'n')
	End
End
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Anne Cuneo wrote:This ungrateful forever unsatisfied user still misses «her» back-up copy in another location (by the way, the Macro Martin suggested does not work, it says there is a mistake in Line 1)
Hrm, the macro in this thread? I just gave it a try and didn't have any trouble- what's the error message exactly?
mathewmitchell

Post by mathewmitchell »

Martin: Thanks. At least with the macro I can transfer the comments out of the document if I want.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hiya Martin

When installing 1.1 Beta, it asked whether I wanted to allow changes to the macros. I naturally said "no" -- this was a beta after all.

A second installation did not offer the option.

You said you would try to get this fix to happen with 1.1 when it came out. Did it happen? No dialog came up.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Hamid

macros

Post by Hamid »

It would be a good idea to make the default macros of 1.1 available separately from the macro repository. Before installing 1.1, I dragged out the Nisus Writer folder from Application Support to get the latest versions of the default macros, but the macro folder created when 1.1 was first launched was empty.
Nobumi Iyanaga

Post by Nobumi Iyanaga »

Hello,
greenmorpher wrote:When installing 1.1 Beta, it asked whether I wanted to allow changes to the macros. I naturally said "no" -- this was a beta after all.

You said you would try to get this fix to happen with 1.1 when it came out. Did it happen? No dialog came up.
I am wondering about this too. Opening the application bundle with Control + Click, I could find the provided macros folder at "Nisus Writer Pro.app/Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/Macros/", but as it is very cumbersome to identify the macros which have been changed from the older ones, I have not yet replaced them with the new ones...
Best regards,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,
Japan
Kino

Post by Kino »

greenmorpher wrote:Hiya Martin

When installing 1.1 Beta, it asked whether I wanted to allow changes to the macros. I naturally said "no" -- this was a beta after all.

I think you can install the new version of macros by running this macro.
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/files/ ... os-nwm.zip

I wrote a similar macro a year ago which does not work any more with NW Pro 1.1. The internal Macros folder path has changed, it seems. So I rewrote the macro totally using new macro commands.

ATTENTION: macros you added to a folder of built-in macros -- calculation, changing text, clipboards, insert, templates -- will be lost. Restore them from the backup created by this macro.

Code: Select all

### Restore Built-in Macros ###

# This macro restores macros installed by Nisus Writer Pro.
# - Changes you made to them will be lost.
# - Older version will be backed up in "/Users/you/Desktop/MacrosBackup date (time)"

Require Application Version '3.1'
$appPath = Application Property 'file path'
$srcPath = $appPath.filePathByAppendingComponent 'Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/Macros'
$check = File.existsAtPath $srcPath
if ! $check
	Exit "$srcPath does not exist. Something is wrong, exit..."
end
$filesInSrcPath = File.namesInFolderAtPath $srcPath
$macrosFolderPast = User Property 'macros folder path'

$now = Date.now
$year = $now.year
$month = Date.zeroPad $now.month
$day = Date.zeroPad $now.day
$hour = Date.zeroPad $now.hour
$minute = Date.zeroPad $now.minute
$second = Cast to Int $now.second
$second = Date.zeroPad $second
$dateTime = "$year-$month-$day ($hour$minute$second)"

$backupFolder = "~/Desktop/MacrosBackup $dateTime"
$check = File.createFolderWithPath $backupFolder
if ! $check
	Exit "Failed to create $backupFolder. Something is wrong, exit..."
end

foreach $file in $filesInSrcPath
	$fileInMacrosFolder = $macrosFolderPast.filePathByAppendingComponent $file
	if File.existsAtPath $fileInMacrosFolder
		$fileInBackupFolder = $backupFolder.filePathByAppendingComponent $file
		$check = File.copyFromPathToPath $fileInMacrosFolder, $fileInBackupFolder
		if ! $check
			Exit "Failed to back up $fileInMacrosFolder. Something is wrong, exit..."
		else
			File.deletePath $fileInMacrosFolder
		end
	end
	$fileInSrcPath = $srcPath.filePathByAppendingComponent $file
	File.copyFromPathToPath $fileInSrcPath, $fileInMacrosFolder
end

Refresh Macro Menu

Exit 'Built-in macros restored successfully.'

### end of macro ###
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Similar to Kino's we have a macro that will install the default macro set when you run it. It might be a little better because it doesn't overwrite any additional macros you've added. The macro repository also has a few other macros that might be helpful, like an invert selection macro.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Excellent. Thanks, Kino and Martin.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
CrisB

Re: Nisus Writer Pro 1.1 Released

Post by CrisB »

In reply to the post about NWP1.1 on MacWorld at
http://www.macworld.com/article/133584/ ... src=mwweek
I posted this reply on 2008/05/26:

Hmmm. Last century, I too used to use the original Nisus Writer 6 on OS 9. Yet Mac OSX has been out a while now - I believe Apple stopped selling Macs that boot OS9 in 2002!

Many years ago, Nisus Writer Express was the first OSX offering, and Nisus Writer Professional has been out for over a year. If you liked the original Nisus Writer on OS9, do invest the time to give either Express or Pro a try. Both have the legendary Nisus ease of use, and it's so simple to customize your documents just the way you like them.

If, like me, you aren't the world's most accurate typist, the QuickFix facility which automatically corrects typos is just outstanding! So rather than dismiss Nisus Writer Professional over the lack of one feature, try it for a month (free of charge). And this is not to say I wouldn't like NWP to produce pdfs with clickable links like Pages.

For me, NWP rates nine out of ten, whilst iWork 08 (which includes Pages) is only a five. Nisus fix bugs when you document them, and not only produce bug-fix versions regularly - every few months - they even document the bugs they've fixed.

Lastly, I had to purchase iWork again at full price in 2007 although I bought iWork in 2005, just two years earlier. So the whine about no free upgrade from last century's OS9 product is hardly fair! Such a biased review makes me wonder if n4hhe perhaps works for Apple?

Nisus have done an outstanding job with both Express and Professional. And Nisus is STILL one of the applications that makes the Mac great! Check it out, you'll be delighted you did! :)