NWP vs. Leopard

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
maurerc

NWP vs. Leopard

Post by maurerc »

A document I am working on will crash NWP repeatably when selecting text in a certain way, while running under 10.5.1. Nisus have replicated this behaviour and informed me that the bug is Apple's to fix, that they will be unable to program a workaround.
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

Ok. Without telling what the problem is and how to avoid it what good is this post?
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

We can reproduce the crash but not describe its cause. I mentioned it to warn anyone who depends on Nisus to be chary about moving to Leopard.
ptram

Re: NWP vs. Leopard

Post by ptram »

maurerc wrote:when selecting text in a certain way
What about explaining what this "certain way" is? It would be helpful to avoid using this method, until a fix is found.

Paolo
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

For a long while the crashes appeared to be random but eventually I was able to find a way to repeat it: in a certain file click in the middle of a particular sentence then hold down the shift key and click just before the end. If I do this in TextEdit, the application does not crash but the selection is extended backwards. If I do a global change of several letters to "x", NWP does not crash when making the same selection. Nisus wrote me, "The problem is that the bug seems to be triggered by the particular display configuration, probably influenced by the glyph stream and individual character metrics." File size may also be a factor. Nisus could not reproduce the problem when shrinking my file below 105KB.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The issue is unlikely to be related to file size, but rather the particular sequence of fonts and characters in maurerc's document. Honestly it's not something I think the general user should be worried about. We've reported the problem to Apple and hopefully there will be a Leopard update that fixes it.
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

I hope that you are right but note that I have not been doing anything extraordinary. I have been working on a one-column text with only two fonts, ordinary Roman fonts that Apple supply (Hoefler Text and a little Optima).
darthkt

try Word, ack!, as an intermediary fix

Post by darthkt »

I may be suffering from this reported Leopard-NWP bug. I too had a file that crashed with a click on certain areas of text, and repairing fonts, disk permissions, and rebooting did no good.

I then opened the file with Word 2004 and saved it as an RTF, and then opened it in NWP, and it seems fine now. Perhaps, whatever gremlin that had hatched, Word somehow fixed.

As Homer's helper monkey typed, "Pray... for... Mojo."

Kevin T.
maurerc

Not fixed in 10.5.2

Post by maurerc »

This is not fixed in 10.5.2.