Styles nor preserved when opening NWE doc in Word

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Post Reply
Parelius
Posts: 9
Joined: 2004-11-25 09:33:10

Styles nor preserved when opening NWE doc in Word

Post by Parelius » 2005-01-20 04:13:46

Hei,

1. I tried to open a document made with NWE (2.1.1) in Word, and the styles are gone (even though the formatting seem ok - everything is NORMAL style). Is it just me, or Word or NWE?

(I need to do this to get an outline sometimes.)

Best

martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4598
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Post by martin » 2005-01-20 10:48:03

Hello. Styles should be preserved when you open files in Word. What file format are you using to save your files (RTF is the default)? And what version of Word are you trying to open the file in?

DavidK
Posts: 72
Joined: 2004-10-26 15:35:19
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Post by DavidK » 2005-01-20 17:43:45

I found the same thing, having saved a file in the default .rtf in Nisus 2.1.1 and then opening it in MSWord2004 for Mac 11.1.

Parelius
Posts: 9
Joined: 2004-11-25 09:33:10

Post by Parelius » 2005-01-21 04:51:43

martin wrote:Hello. Styles should be preserved when you open files in Word. What file format are you using to save your files (RTF is the default)? And what version of Word are you trying to open the file in?
I save as RTF, and uses Word X for Mac Service release 1.

martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4598
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Post by martin » 2005-01-21 13:02:28

Hello everyone. I've played around with it for a while, and I've somewhat reproduced this bug. I lose the style upon opening in Word when:

1. the style is applied to the last paragraph in the document
2. the style is a paragraph style

Do these conditions describe what you are seeing? Do you lose your styles under any other circumstances? Thanks.

DavidK
Posts: 72
Joined: 2004-10-26 15:35:19
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Post by DavidK » 2005-01-21 13:12:41

All I know is that I lost the style. :(

You figure out why! :)

If you reproduced the bug, I for one would like to see a fix.

JBL
Posts: 167
Joined: 2003-04-25 14:33:59

Post by JBL » 2005-01-21 14:23:03

DavidK wrote:All I know is that I lost the style. :(

You figure out why! :)

If you reproduced the bug, I for one would like to see a fix.
What is wrong with you? The guy asked a perfectly reasonable question. he found one rather specific circumstance in which he could reproduce the bug. He wants to know if you think the bug is more general than that. Why don't you try to help the guy by answering his question in a civilized manner so that we can all have more bug free software rather than being a rude SOB.

Not an Official Nisus Person, just a Nisus customer.

DavidK
Posts: 72
Joined: 2004-10-26 15:35:19
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Post by DavidK » 2005-01-22 16:02:31

JBL wrote:
Why don't you try to help the guy by answering his question in a civilized manner so that we can all have more bug free software rather than being a rude SOB.

Not an Official Nisus Person, just a Nisus customer.

Please, if you have a problem with something I have written, it is more polite to write me privately and tell me. I was not trying to be rude - and I apologize that my words came out that way.

The Nisus response found a bug -- I don't have the time to figure out exactly under what circumstances the bug appears, I just want usable software. There are several other issues that I have written about for which I have received no response, or the response has been that the bug is known, and will be addressed . . . in the next release. Sometime this Spring? Forgive me if I came off sounding short, but there is no need for you to call me a "rude SOB" in public.

Parelius
Posts: 9
Joined: 2004-11-25 09:33:10

Post by Parelius » 2005-01-23 11:47:09

martin wrote:Hello everyone. I've played around with it for a while, and I've somewhat reproduced this bug. I lose the style upon opening in Word when:

1. the style is applied to the last paragraph in the document
2. the style is a paragraph style

Do these conditions describe what you are seeing? Do you lose your styles under any other circumstances? Thanks.
If the last style is HEADING 1 or HEADING 2, none of the styles are preserved as these styles, even though the formatting is preserved (or so it seems). As styles they are now all called NORMAL. Strange thing, BLOCK QUOTE seem to be intact.

martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4598
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Post by martin » 2005-01-24 13:27:11

Thanks for the additional information. I've put in a bug report for this.

Post Reply