reveal (and edit) rtf tags

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jehale

reveal (and edit) rtf tags

Post by jehale »

Is there any way to display the rtf tags rather than action them?

I would like to use the powerfind to manipulate them. In many cases (especially if the rtf is MS in origin) it the easiest way to clean it up.

Sure I can use BBEDIT, but I would rather use Nisus.

If I copy and past from BBedit into a new Nisus doc (and see the tags.) I can save this as a plain text file and then re-open it in Nisus and the tags are now read and acted on, BUT the document has changed its appearance. Looking at in BBedit and I can't see why. So copying and pasting doesn't quite do it.
JBL

Post by JBL »

I haven't experimented with this much because my knowledge of both perl and rtf tags is quite limited, however the perl scripting built into Nisus seems to be able to see the rtf tags (perl scripts just treat the document as a text file). I don't know if that helps you but...
jehale

Post by jehale »

thanks for that thought.

however I know perl less than regex so not seeing the tags is no good.

I need to see them to see what I can get away with without destroying the mark-up.

Interestingly Apple's TextEdit app can do this. There is a preference to ignore RTF commands in RTF docs which affects newly opened files.

A bit more clumsy (i.ehaving to go to the prefs each time and needing to to open and close docs) but useable.

Only trouble is it doesn't have Nisus' powerfind.

:(