Nisus 2.0.1 imitates hotpoint dryer with chenille bedspread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jwx1

Nisus 2.0.1 imitates hotpoint dryer with chenille bedspread

Post by jwx1 »

Caused my Cube 500, RAM 1.25G, 120GB to hop across the room (figuratively).

I use a big (12+mb) Unicode font called Titus Cyberbit Basic for transcribing ancient Greek, Latin, Syriac etc.

When I tried to open the Edit->Special Characters box to use the Unicode extended sets, Nisus did a hard hang with a (non-spinning!!) beachball, I could not switch to the Finder, finally got the Force Quit box, did a force quit on everything, relaunced the finder (delays and waits all through this) and finally had to physically powerdown the machine. When it came back up, did fsck and then booted normally to main screen - at which point the Special Characters box opened on an otherwise normal screen. Neither Nisus nor any other app (except Finder) were running.

I checked the fonts with utilities, no errors. Looks like the Unicode bit box must have an upper limit?

Just FYI.
John
JBL

Post by JBL »

That is weird. Have you tried using the same font in TextEdit. It sounds like the operating system, not NWE. Nothing one application can do should prevent you from being able to switch to another application.
jwx1

Font works fine in Text Edit

Post by jwx1 »

and every other text editor I've tried.
I'm distressed to admit that I currently have six (6!) text editors.
I was hoping that NWE would supplant them all, but not yet.
John
charles

Post by charles »

Hi jwx1!

The special characters box is an OS X thing. If you are having problems with it then that probably means there is something about your font that OS X does not like. Have you used this font in the past and had it work?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
rallx

Post by rallx »

I don't have a Special Characters menu item under the Edit Menu or anywhere else that I can see in NWE 2.0.1. It sounds from Charles' post that this brings up the MacOS X characters palette. Under what conditions is this menu choice available?
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

It appears if you are running Panther. I don't think it appears in pre-10.3 versions of the OS.
rallx

Post by rallx »

That's odd, I'm running 10.3.5 and Special Characters item simply doesn't exist, either in the NWE Edit menu or anywhere else?!
charles

Post by charles »

Odd thing about the Special Characters menu item; sometimes it appears under the Edit menu, other times it appears in the flag menu at the top right of the menu bar. Some computers in our office have it under the edit menu; mine has it in the flag menu. I don't get what makes the difference!

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
rallx

Post by rallx »

Well, hmm... I have the flag menu (the one set in the International pane of the System Preferences turned off) because my menu bar is already cluttered enough. I just turned it back on, and then launched NWE to experiment with this issue and it still doesn't appear in the edit menu. Oh well.

I still think it would be very useful if NWE had a special palette of its own that could live in the tools drawer and would allow users to choose Greek characters without using the system palette.
jwx1

Can toggle palette from

Post by jwx1 »

Edit -> Special Charavters or from menu bar.
Works fine from menu bar or Edit with all fonts except the killer supra.
BTW - Panther 10.3.5 here.