selecting footnote text

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Bart

selecting footnote text

Post by Bart »

You may not see this, but the "tip" above the field I'm typing in right now says: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text". That's precisely my problem. How do I select all footnotes in order to apply one single style to them? Footnotes only seem visible in Page view, and then you cannot drag across more notes than the ones on a single page. It took me some while to get used to the separate footnote window in the old NW, but I dearly miss it by now.

Bart
charles

Post by charles »

Hi!

All footnotes already have a style applied. You can change their formatting just by editing the Footnote style. To do this:

1. Choose the "Style Sheet" document view from the "View" menu.
2. Click on the tab labeled "Notes"
3. Click on the "Footnotes" style.
4. Use your Character, Paragraph and other palettes to set your formatting as normal.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Bart. Rather than trying to select the footnotes, can you do what you want on the style sheet?

Click View menu > Style Sheet; either click Notes at the top or scroll down to the bottom of All Styles; click the Footnote style, then make your style changes there.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but I thought I'd throw out an idea.

--Craig
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

While I composed my response, Charles beat me to it. Disregard my last posting! --Craig
Bart

Post by Bart »

Thanks for two very quick and to the point reactions. I did try fiddling with notes and footnotes styles in stylesheet view, but none of my footnotes seemed to react at all. Now I have retried this approach. When I select or unselect the "one not per line option" I definitely see a change in page view, but fiddling with the ruler settings has no effect. That is, the ruler I see when I do select a footnote in page view has changed, but the indentation of my footnote does not reflect the settings on the ruler.

Incidentally I also noticed that there are no notes or footnotes styles in the styles panel in the formatting tools drawer. But that could be yet an other problem ...

When choosing "about Nisus Express" I'm told that I have "version 2.0"; should that read "2.03"? I mean, am I not working with te latest version? If so, should that make any difference?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hello again, Bart. Version 2.0.1 was released late Thursday or early Friday to the best of my understanding. Have you downloaded since then?

Regarding the specific complaints you mentioned, I have had the same difficulties. I should have asked for specifics before commenting. I guess I focused on the issue of selecting.

I have given Nisus feedback on the problems I encountered, but didn't mention the fact that footnotes and endnotes did not appear in the Styles palette. Perhaps Nisus figures they will be applied automatically. They are available in the Style submenu of the Format menu.

Regarding ruler changes (both paragraph spacing and indentation), I have had the same experience. And, like you, I stumbled on the trick of switching to "One Note Per Line" and back, though this is only partially successful. Closing and reopening the document sometimes helps as well.

Oddly sometimes the first note on a page will reflect the style as I set it, but others won't. Sometimes no note reflects the style. Once in a while all of them do.

Until the issue is resolved, I have made my footnote and endnote styles as plain as I can (no paragraph spacing, no indentation). Not ideal. I hope there can be a fix for this in the next release.

--Craig
Bart

Post by Bart »

Thanks Craig,

you confirm my experiences, and that is reassuring – apparently it's not my mistake. Keeping formatting as simple as possible sounds like a good idea!
And I will download the latest version. I don't think I have it yet.

Bart
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

From the previous posts, it looks like this is an old issue, but it's still occuring in the latest version (2.1.3).

1. The footnote style does not show in the style palette.
2. Altering the footnote style does not alter the style of the footnote text consistently.

I can get the character attributes (like font size) to change, but ruler settings are either not implemented or not implemented for all notes. In particular I'm trying to indent the first line of my footnotes. Of three in the current document, I can get #1 and sometimes #3 to indent, but NEVER #2.

Any thoughts on how to work around would be appreciated.

Mike
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I haven't done much with footnotes in Nisus Writer Express, so I speak from inexperience. Is it possible that footnote 2 has a ruler applied to it locally?

(Incidentally, ProfT, I followed through on your recommendation about Accordance. Thank you.)

--Craig
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

Craig,

I did look at that and think I've removed any. At the bottom of the page, I selected the footnotes in question and there is not a ruler showing that would allow me to remove locally inserted ruler changes. I tried applying ruler changes manually and the ruler showed up and allowed me to remove the new changes.

It's very strange as I can force the footnote to move completely (i.e. indenting both first and second lines) I just can't separately impact the first line of the footnote.

I also tried changing the style setting for footnote text in the new document template. When I created a new document, the application of the style was still not consistent across multiple footnotes!

Thanks for the thoughts . . . I'm at a loss.

(I hope accordance works out for you. I use it daily and love it!)

Mike
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I just tried creating some footnotes in 2.5 alpha 2 and did not have the problem that you described. Mine was only a quick and limited test, but you might try downloading the alpha and trying it yourself. (Alpha 3 is the latest as I write, but it works only under Tiger.)

(I need to spend some time familiarizing myself with Accordance. I still haven't found the time.)

--Craig
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

I downloaded the latest alpha version and it appears the problem is not present there. (Let's hope it stays that way!) I was able to alter the ruler settings in the style and they carried through on multiple pages and w/ different configurations of notes.

This was my first peek at the alpha and it looks promising.

Mike