NisusWriter Pro

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Peder

Post by Peder »

Amen, Mark

And maybe Pro will even play nicer with InDesign than Express (harp arpeggios in the background :wink: )

Peder
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
JBL

Post by JBL »

I just want to chime in to say I agree with the last few posts and to say "Thank you!" to the guys at Nisus. It looks like this release will go a long way towards making Nisus Writer the word processor we all hoped it would become.
ninjagame

Just my 2 cents

Post by ninjagame »

I really won't mind spending some money on buying this "new" Nisus Writer. I mean - after all, everyone has to make money for a living and as far as I can see from the screenshots, the Nisus fellows did a great job again - even if my pet feature (soft hyphenation) doesn't seem to be included and I don't know if it ever will. I'd really like to try it out and play with it.
What would definitely annoy me, however, would be if the full range of new features was available only when using OS 10.5 or, much worse, on a MacBookPro. I simply can't afford an MBP just for the sake of running NWP (and subsequently being forced to upgrade my whole software).
But - let's see what descends from Mt. Nisus.

ninjagame[/i]
Last edited by ninjagame on 2007-01-09 03:17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Midwinter:
Hell, we're all here for one reason or other—I hate using Word, can't stand the text display and lack of inline spell check in Appleworks, and using Mellel makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
xiamenese:
And then people get outraged about having to pay for an upgrade which adds significant features ... Hello? Do you want Nisus to continue to exist and produce improved product? Of course they need to charge,
I am baffled by the reactions about having to pay for a major upgrade: gosh, guys, remember how much Microsoft has you dish out for every upgrade that makes Word worse than 5.1? After having paid some 50$ for Nisus 1.0 years ago, we got upgrade after upgrade for FREE. OK, up to 2.1 it was just basic corrections or adds-on which should have been there in the first place (particularly as we were somehow obsessed by the near-perfection of Classic 6.5). But since 2.5 NWE works beautifully, even on very long texts. Some people miss some things - I am waiting for an index possibility, for instance. But using Word at work reminds me every day how happy I am to go back to Nisus.
I had expected an upgrade fee with 2.7 already. Lots of software producers asked for one when they adapted for Mac-Intels.
As Midwinter says, we are all using Nisus for a reason. Mine are just like yours, by the way.
I am impatient to test betas of NWP.
And, yes, I too hope NWP won't need 10.5, I can't afford to change to Intel yet, and I won't even consider doing so anyway until Apple offers me a 12" PB which I can carry in my handbag with my writing block, as I do now with my “old” 12" (one year old, my little Mathusalem).
Anne
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus

Post by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus »

Please, oh please swap the icons for NWE and NWP! The original NWE icon is so much more stylish.
PowerPC; Mac OS 10.5.8; NWP 1.4
Lanx

Post by Lanx »

This is great news indeed. Out of curiosity: Will there be the print-booklet-feature of Nisus Writer Classic in NWP?
dshan

Re: All New Or Just Improved?

Post by dshan »

dshan wrote: Hmm, I wonder what the OS and h/w requirements for Nisus Writer Pro will be? I'm betting OS X 10.5 is likely required, and there's an outside (hopefully very outside) chance it's Intel-only too.
After I wrote this I came across this story saying NWP will run on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and above, though I can't find this stated anywhere by Nisus directly so far. Jeeze, if Steve doesn't announce a Beatles cellphone with a touch screen and (blue) laser pointer tomorrow I'm gonna get my legs broke...[/url]
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Anne Cuneo wrote:And, yes, I too hope NWP won't need 10.5, I can't afford to change to Intel yet, and I won't even consider doing so anyway until Apple offers me a 12" PB which I can carry in my handbag with my writing block, as I do now with my “old” 12" (one year old, my little Mathusalem).
I don't mean to pick on Anne, but let's get something straight, because I've seen this a couple of times. First of all, Leopard is a Universal Binary, so it will run on both PowerPC and Intel Macintoshes. That's the whole point of the Universal Binary. Even if NWP did require Leopard (which it probably won't require but will probably be enhanced by because it is a Cocoa application and it grows as Mac OS X does), it will still run on PowerPC Macintoshes. After an application is changed over to a Universal Binary (the process of which has been completed by work on NWE and, according to Nisus, NWP is built upon the core of NWE), it takes no more time to develop a PowerPC version than it does an Intel version. It is a checkbox in XCode.

I don't think any Apple developer (Adobe excepted, and even then, notice that Photoshop is Universal) is ready to leave 95% of people who own a Macintosh behind anytime soon. So stop freaking out over this...please...there's no reason...You will be able to keep your PowerPC machines for the foreseeable future and everything will run just fine.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
Tacitus

Re: All New Or Just Improved?

Post by Tacitus »

dshan wrote:
dshan wrote: Hmm, I wonder what the OS and h/w requirements for Nisus Writer Pro will be? I'm betting OS X 10.5 is likely required, and there's an outside (hopefully very outside) chance it's Intel-only too.
10.3.9 will be the minimum, 10.4 preferred. I can't see them making it 10.5 only.

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus wrote:Please, oh please swap the icons for NWE and NWP! The original NWE icon is so much more stylish.
OH LORD NO. I don't want the naked blue man in my dock.
dshan

Post by dshan »

midwinter wrote:
OH LORD NO. I don't want the naked blue man in my dock.
Says the man with the banana...
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Like others mentioned before I don't like the tactics to release NWP as "new" application. But maybe one needs this marketing if the application comes three years too late?

But anyway with the crossrefs-feature I still hope it will import Crossrefs from old Classic Nisus-documents correctly.
nspy

Post by nspy »

When I started this thread by worrying about mailmerge, the graphics layer, and invisible text, my motivation was to discover if at long last I can leave Classic behind. NWC is the only app I still must run in Classic, and because of those features. I'm not into bashing here, and will happily pay a reasonable abount for the new version (alias upgrade). For my kind of work, W*rd is completely unuseable.

Rick
Mac column: http://TheNorthernSpy.com
Texts and SF: http://arjay.ca
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Reiner wrote:But anyway with the crossrefs-feature I still hope it will import Crossrefs from old Classic Nisus-documents correctly.
It will (and does).
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Reiner wrote:Like others mentioned before I don't like the tactics to release NWP as "new" application.
I know what you mean. I hate it when a company changes an application's name.