Only sort of O/T ...

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
xiamenese

Only sort of O/T ...

Post by xiamenese »

... but as the software it involved almost entirely is NWE, and you guys are geniuses--with or without bananas :D ...

Since moving to this new machine--17" MacBook Pro! Yummy!--and, for reasons that are of no consequence, re-installing the whole system, software, etc., I seem to have lost my Simplified Chinese "Song" font. Since I exchange a lot of documents with people running Chinese Windows, Song is an essential standard and being without it is a real pain!

Can anyone suggest how or where I can find it to re-install it ... I can't find it on the web and I don't want to have to go through another system re-install in the hope that it will be there. Unfortunately, I can't simply go back and copy the font from my old Rev 1 TiBook, as the font shares the same number with the former SIL Doulos IPA font ... although they both work on the old machine, when I try to bring it over, the MBP rejects the Song font as corrupt.

So, please, any ideas?

Mark

PS I used to be Mark XM, but somewhere along the line I lost my old password, and although I have tried many times to retrieve it through the server, the mail never reaches me; so it was easier just to re-register. :?
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

You can do an archive and install of the OS and make sure you install the extra fonts.

Alternately, you *may* be able to *only* install the fonts package of the OS, but I'm not sure.

And, um. Bananas? What are you talking about?
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

midwinter wrote:You can do an archive and install of the OS and make sure you install the extra fonts.
Not that attractive because of the amount of time I would need to make sure everything else in the system was transferred across.
midwinter wrote:Alternately, you *may* be able to *only* install the fonts package of the OS, but I'm not sure.
I must admit, I haven't looked that closely at the OS-X installer. But that makes me think that I do have the various system disks for Mac OS-9 and upwards from my old TiBook. I could try doing it on that and then copying the new version of the font ... or seeing if I can just find the font on the CD/DVD.
midwinter wrote:And, um. Bananas? What are you talking about?
What I am currently going without my "Song" font :x ... (It's pronounced like "soong" but with a short vowel by the way ..., not as in "I have a song to sing you ...")

Thanks
Mark
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

The archive and install shouldn't be that bad. Just move the "Song" font to your archived home folder and then replace everything. If that makes sense.

But I really do think you should be able to do a custom install and get just the fonts you want.

And I forgot to add a smiley after my comment about the banana! ;)
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Mark:

AIM me and I can hook you up with it.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

midwinter wrote:Mark:

AIM me and I can hook you up with it.
Thanks Midwinter ... I wasn't sure what to aim you at ... :D
Seriously, thanks for your advice. I thought the best thing was to do an "archive and install" to my bootable back-up disk, rather than replacing the main system on the MBP. After 2 or 3 hours of sitting around waiting for it to finish, I then found there was no Song.dfont on that disk either.
So I got myself on the MacFixit forum and put up a post there. A couple of guys there have responded saying that Song has indeed been dropped from the install list for Tiger. It was part of every system from when Apple started supporting CJK languages up to and including Panther ... and then they drop it with Tiger ... God knows why!
But one of them has offered to send me the font, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime, I have called up the relevant pages on the Apple support site and sent feedback saying that it is an essential font and can they please (a) make it available for download, (b) include it in the next system update and (c) ensure that it is part of Leopard when that comes out. I think I'll ask Martin and the great guys at Nisus if they can put their weight behind my plea ... as developers of one of the most popular and best word processors on the Mac, one with a long and honourable history of supporting many languages, their word must carry more weight than mine.
Cheers
Mark
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Mark,

You can click the "AIM" button underneath and of my posts to send me an IM.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

midwinter wrote:Mark,

You can click the "AIM" button underneath and of my posts to send me an IM.
I did appreciate that, but when I first got your message, I had to go out and teach, and we now have the problem that you are off-line ... I guess it's the probably the middle of the night for you.

I'll try again some other time.

Mark
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Mark,

I'm on AIM right now and will be for at least 4 more hours. I have the font package sitting on my desktop.