Nisus compatible with Intel-based Macs?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dkaplan137

Nisus compatible with Intel-based Macs?

Post by dkaplan137 »

Is Nisus Writer Express compatible with the new Intel-based Macs? Is NisusWriter Classic? If not, is there a workaround?

Dan
dshan

Intel Compatibility

Post by dshan »

As I understand it there is no support for the Mac OS 9 "Classic" environment with Intel Macs, so that would rule out NW Classic running on them. As to whether NWX will run under Rosetta on Intel Macs perhaps Nisus can tell us if they've tested it yet?
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

Nisus Writer Express does run on the new machines under Rosetta. However, we are planning an update after 2.6 that will enable Express to run natively on Intel machines.

By the way, MacBook? I can't get used to that name.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

dave wrote:By the way, MacBook? I can't get used to that name.
Yeah, no joke. I think they should hire Gilbert Gottfried to repeat the name over and over again in a commercial, a la AFLAC.

MacBook? Huh.

And yet, somehow I want one...
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus

Post by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus »

dave wrote: By the way, MacBook? I can't get used to that name.
That's not the worst part of the name; the worst part is Pro. What exactly is pro about it? The lack of the FireWire 800 port? Or the switch from the AltiVec (a DSP technology used extensively in realtime audio/video/3D processing) to SSE (which can hardly emulate a third of AltiVec instructions? :evil:

Sorry, couldn't hold it any longer.
PowerPC; Mac OS 10.5.8; NWP 1.4
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

But! They're silver!!!
dshan

MacBook Pro

Post by dshan »

midwinter wrote:But! They're silver!!!
And they have a magnetic power thingy!
Matze

Post by Matze »

Ryan wrote:
dave wrote:By the way, MacBook? I can't get used to that name.

MacBook? Huh.

And yet, somehow I want one...
I want yummie Mac Books with large french fries, please.

Matze
midwinter

Re: MacBook Pro

Post by midwinter »

dshan wrote:
midwinter wrote:But! They're silver!!!
And they have a magnetic power thingy!
As someone who has gotten tangled in a powerbook power cord and pulled the thing off an ottoman and onto the floor, breaking the latch for the lid, I must say that this is a mighty nice innovation.
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus wrote:
dave wrote: By the way, MacBook? I can't get used to that name.
That's not the worst part of the name; the worst part is Pro. What exactly is pro about it? The lack of the FireWire 800 port? Or the switch from the AltiVec (a DSP technology used extensively in realtime audio/video/3D processing) to SSE (which can hardly emulate a third of AltiVec instructions? :evil:

Sorry, couldn't hold it any longer.
The rumor mill is suggesting that the Intel iBook will become just MacBook, leaving the former PowerBook to be MacBook Pro.

Yeah, but I still want one. (After I get an iPod with video, of course.)
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

my bigger sorrow is not if or when will NWX run under intel macs but when or if at all will all features of Nisus Writer Classic will be supported by NWX.

the day will come I have no mac anymore which can run classic, so I will not be able to run Nisus 6 and that means I'm in a blind alley. I have a view documents which are created in hundreds of hours with lots of cross-references which are very important for me.

what are your futher plans for supporting old style documents? are there features you will never support? which are the next features we will get?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Well, fortunately for you the PowerPC isn't going away for some time. You might even want to grab a G5 while you can. They're still very high-performance machines, and they'll run Classic, as well as they'll perform much better on Carbon apps that are difficult to port, such as Photoshop (I heard one Adobe engineer moaning about how much work that one's going to be).

But, even still, I want a MacBook Pro.
gemboy27

and..

Post by gemboy27 »

Ryan wrote:Well, fortunately for you the PowerPC isn't going away for some time. You might even want to grab a G5 while you can. They're still very high-performance machines, and they'll run Classic, as well as they'll perform much better on Carbon apps that are difficult to port, such as Photoshop....
Will Nisus be supporting the PowerPC, that is will NWE 5 work on the G5 as well as it works with an intell processor??

I am thinking about going from a G4 to G5.....

Gem*Boy
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
andlin

Intel Macs - Classic

Post by andlin »

I just upgraded to a dual chip G5 from an old AGP G4 - wanted to get in before classic support was lost forever and mainly because I use the old Nisus Writer 6.5 for auto making of A5 booklets. There's nothing as good. In any other program an A5 booklet means hours of fidddling pages around or making page links and although I last posted in 2003 requesting this feature for Nisus Express those in Nisus Land have been remarkably quiet about bringing about such an upgrade.
Andy M.
gemboy27

Re: and..

Post by gemboy27 »

gemboy27 wrote: Will Nisus be supporting the PowerPC, that is will NWE 5 work on the G5 as well as it works with an intell processor??

I am thinking about going from a G4 to G5.....

Gem*Boy
well no answer on that, another thought or question..

does anyone have the new iMac and how is it working. I am thinking why no tthe new iMac (intel) and if I need classic, well hell I got this computer.

Gem*Boy
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)