Classic feature add-back schedule?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Cynthia

Classic feature add-back schedule?

Post by Cynthia »

I’ve looked through some of the posts on the long thread about Feature Requests. Many requests duplicate things that were in NW CLassic. That is pretty much true of my most urgent requests too. I would gladly pay $150 for a Nisus Writer that worked in OS X and did most of what Classic did. As it is I can’t decide whether to pay for NW Express, because it lacks several things I need so badly: markers, margin notes or glosses, better speed.

I have Nisus deprivation–keep trying other wp’s and none of them compare to the old Nisus....

My question: can Nisus give us a checklist of Classic features, annotated as to (Never) (Someday) (Next upgrade)...?

Thanks
foobar

agreed

Post by foobar »

I'd like to second this request. The major obstacle between me and committing myself to Nisus is the poor communication about a feature and release schedule. If there are certain features not present in the current Nisus that I need for my work, as it stands now, I have no way of knowing if I can reasonably wait for them.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Re: Classic feature add-back schedule?

Post by dave »

Cynthia wrote:I’ve looked through some of the posts on the long thread about Feature Requests. Many requests duplicate things that were in NW CLassic. That is pretty much true of my most urgent requests too. I would gladly pay $150 for a Nisus Writer that worked in OS X and did most of what Classic did. As it is I can’t decide whether to pay for NW Express, because it lacks several things I need so badly: markers, margin notes or glosses, better speed.

I have Nisus deprivation–keep trying other wp’s and none of them compare to the old Nisus....

My question: can Nisus give us a checklist of Classic features, annotated as to (Never) (Someday) (Next upgrade)...?

Thanks
This is always a tough question to answer. We don't necessarily want to be secretive, but we also don't want to tip our hand. I know this is very frustrating for our users, and for that I apologize. But it has to be this way.

Having said that, though, we are adding back some old favorites, plsu new stuff, in the next major release. I can't reveal what they are just yet, but the majority will be pleased.

At least I hope so.

Dave

P.S. Sorry about the tease.
shades

Re: Classic feature add-back schedule?

Post by shades »

dave wrote:
Having said that, though, we are adding back some old favorites, plsu new stuff, in the next major release. I can't reveal what they are just yet, but the majority will be pleased.

P.S. Sorry about the tease.
Howdy, Dave. Teasing is okay.... ;)

However, will these new features work with OS X 10.3.9? Some (many) of us have not made the jump to OS X 10.4 and may not in the immediate future.

Rich (who several years ago bought your old blueberry "toilet seat" iBook - and the grandkids love it!)
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
Ryan

Re: Same thing

Post by Ryan »

Brooke97 wrote:
foobar wrote: If there are certain features not present in the current Nisus that I need for my work, as it stands now, I have no way of knowing if I can reasonably wait for them.
:lol::lol: Hahaha, cant believe it! I was going to say -Exactly- that a minute ago! :lol::lol:

I'm a stupid forum bot that is really obnoxious
Wait a minute...
cgc

Post by cgc »

Do the Nisus folks think providing a timeline for major feature relase would cause Mellel (or another competitor) to trump NWE with similar features released sooner? Curious.
foobar

thanks for replying

Post by foobar »

I appreciate the frankness and friendliness of Dave's reply, even though it's extremely vague and noncommittal. And though he's asking us to take a lot on faith I've gone ahead and signed up for an Express license. Now I just hope that my license will extend to the new version that contains the features I hope will be added. We'll see if all that hope is justified.

In general, though, I think that a small developer like Nisus loses nothing by being more communicative with its users about a release schedule. It seems that's not the opinion around Nisus, though, and I wonder why.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I appreciate the frankness and friendliness of Dave's reply, even though it's extremely vague and noncommittal. And though he's asking us to take a lot on faith I've gone ahead and signed up for an Express license. Now I just hope that my license will extend to the new version that contains the features I hope will be added.

On Jan. 4th, a Nisian posted as above.

I too would like to know if a license purchased now covers the next major upgrade, I suppose 2.6, which we all hope will have some of the things we all miss from old Nisus.

(Why is that such old apps---Nisus 5, FullWrite, WriteNow---had these neat features that seem so difficult now for nearly all Mac word processor creators to add? Among them, they had outlining, marginal notes, page-as-graphic (Nisus), glosses--note above line (Nisus), footnotes and endnotes (Nisus and others), jump-to markers (Nisus and others), several other ways of attaching notes to text that I can't exactly recall, making simple graphics within a document (Nisus) and on on on. Of course, the new Nisus and other new wps have terrific styles features, and other things, as well as all the benefits of Unicode. Nostalgia.

For me the 2 contenders against Nisus are Mellel and one I haven't seen mentioned here, Jedit < http://www.artman21.net/product/JeditX/download_E.html> I've used Jedit for 5 years or so, but my sentiments are with Nisus.