Official Express 2.6 Beta thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
gemboy27

Re: sections

Post by gemboy27 »

gemboy27 wrote:I am still finding that sections are kind of glitchy

I want three sections with three different (though similar) headers, I can get two, but when I add the third, the first becomes the third

Added: This seems to be related to the problem of styles not working well. I have a short cut of command-1 to make 'Character' format for a play I am writing. In 2.6 if I do cmd-1 it will not let me type, until I move the cursor up and down....

iMac 10.3.9 G4
with NWX-v26-fc2

I still have trouble with the document palette

If I select an option from the pallette library it works as it is suppose to, the window is open and I can selectings, I close the window and the option cluses back into a palette group.

Buf if I just select it from windows/palettes it will open only as a bar with the name of the option, but not the functions of the option.

the short cuts are now working for me, I can cmd-1 to a 'character' format and type.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Jzents

Post by Jzents »

Chris wrote:Still no ability to automatically create a table of content? Oh well, back to Word for me … *sigh*
Rather than Word, why not NeoOffice 1.2 or OpenOffice 2.0? Both do TOC and are a whole lot better than Word in many respects. The autocomplete while typing is the best in any WP. Cheers!
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
DavidK

Re: Auto-saving and saving new (untitled) files

Post by DavidK »

DavidK wrote:Under 2.5 and prior version of Nisus, I was able to set the preferences to auto-save new files in the Document manager, but when I his command-S to save the file, it presented the standard Save menu, so I could choose a name for the file and a folder in which to save it.

My preferences in 2.5 were:
autosave; and
Do NOT keep new documents in document manager without asking me

The same settings in the 2.6 betas and fc1 give a different result. New, untitled files are not saved at all. If I check the box to keep new documents in the document manager w/o asking, then when I open a new document and save it using command-S, it saves it in the doc. manager with a name based on the first few words of the file. In order to save it with the name/location I wanted, I have to choose "save as . . . "

I much prefer the old behavior, in which auto-save causes all files to be temporary saved in the Doc. manager until command-S specifies what to name and where to save the file.
I wrote the above about fc1, but the same is true about fc2 -- new, untitled documents are NOT autosaved unless the "keep doc in doc manager w/o asking" preference is checked. I don't want to keep every doc in the doc manager -- however, I do want every doc autosaved. 2.5 and earlier saved it in the doc manager until a name was given. No one responded to my earlier post -- are the Nisus people reading this? Am I alone in being concerned that untitled docs are not being autosaved? Am I alone in not wanting my doc manager cluttered with copies of every document I begin writing?
Jzents

Re: Auto-saving and saving new (untitled) files

Post by Jzents »

DavidK wrote:
DavidK wrote:Under 2.5 and prior version of Nisus, I was able to set the preferences to auto-save new files in the Document manager, but when I his command-S to save the file, it presented the standard Save menu, so I could choose a name for the file and a folder in which to save it.

My preferences in 2.5 were:
autosave; and
Do NOT keep new documents in document manager without asking me

The same settings in the 2.6 betas and fc1 give a different result. New, untitled files are not saved at all. If I check the box to keep new documents in the document manager w/o asking, then when I open a new document and save it using command-S, it saves it in the doc. manager with a name based on the first few words of the file. In order to save it with the name/location I wanted, I have to choose "save as . . . "

I much prefer the old behavior, in which auto-save causes all files to be temporary saved in the Doc. manager until command-S specifies what to name and where to save the file.
I wrote the above about fc1, but the same is true about fc2 -- new, untitled documents are NOT autosaved unless the "keep doc in doc manager w/o asking" preference is checked. I don't want to keep every doc in the doc manager -- however, I do want every doc autosaved. 2.5 and earlier saved it in the doc manager until a name was given. No one responded to my earlier post -- are the Nisus people reading this? Am I alone in being concerned that untitled docs are not being autosaved? Am I alone in not wanting my doc manager cluttered with copies of every document I begin writing?
I have always just assumed that about once every two weeks I would need to go and clear out the document manager, which I do not find difficult. I basically use the doc manager for backups of all documents that I have not done a save as to and given my name to. So I have not found this behavior a problem, but if it did not auto save to a default location with a supplied name, then it would be the case that every time NWE goes to do the first backup save it would have to stop and ask you for the name and location. I prefer the current behavior.
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

I have never understood what the document manager was for nor how to use it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Final candidate 3 is now available for download. In addition to fixing a critical bug introduced during FC2 this version also improves our importing of text from Classic documents.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

martin wrote:Final candidate 3 is now available for download. In addition to fixing a critical bug introduced during FC2 this version also improves our importing of text from Classic documents.
what exactly are the classic import improvements? http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/releasenotes.php also does not say too much.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The improvements are only to the importing of the actual text, not any formatting. For instance, in some cases curly quotes would be turned in Chinese characters.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

martin wrote:...in some cases curly quotes would be turned in Chinese characters.
So. many. jokes. Must. Resist. urge.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

midwinter wrote:
martin wrote:...in some cases curly quotes would be turned in Chinese characters.
lol :lol:
JBL

Post by JBL »

midwinter wrote:I have never understood what the document manager was for nor how to use it.
Neither have I.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

midwinter wrote:
Hey! Don't make me come down there ...
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

midwinter wrote:
Heh heh... I say do your worst! :twisted:
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Ryan wrote:Heh heh... I say do your worst! :twisted:
Hey now, don't temp the man to say anything that might get us blocked by the great firewall of China.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Express 2.6 Released

Post by dave »

Hey kids! Express 2.6 is officially released. Dance to this new tune here!

Release notes are on this page.

Thanks for all of your help! This release should be pretty solid, and that's because of people like yourselves. On the other hand, if this release isn't a good one, all of you are to blame.

So we have that going for us.

Dave