Official Express 2.6 Beta thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
DavidK

Templates in 2.6b4 open as regular files

Post by DavidK »

gemboy27 wrote:Was the box: "open as new file" checked when you open the file.
To clarify, my issue is that when I open a template file from the document manager, it opens with the file name rather than as "untitled," and when I modify it and save it, it overwrites the original.

When I open the file from the finder, the same thing happens.

In Nisus 2.5 and earlier, either opening the file from the finder or the document manager resulted in a new "untitled" file being created. Thus, after modifying and saving, it would not overwrite the original template file (which is the whole point of such a file!).
shades

Post by shades »

Greetings. I noticed a problem in NWE 2.6beta4 with the Find and Replace. I copied a word ("This") from a NWE document and pasted into the Find window. It added some kind of spacing (like a large tab) before it. While it will make the necessary changes, I have found that this "extra space" will remain in the Find window until the program is shut down. This is true of both NWE 2.5 and NWE 2.6beta4.

OS X 10.3.9 on eMac
NWE 2.5
NWE 2.6beta4

(I sent a screen shot of the FR window to Nisus Support).
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Beta 5 is available for download. In addition to more fixes, this beta also has German and French localizations.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

martin wrote:Beta 5 is available for download. In addition to more fixes, this beta also has German and French localizations.
Does that mean, that German users don't have to buy the German expenisve version from computerworks.de which is available months after the English version anymore? That would be that wonderful, I hardly can believe it.
writer99

german

Post by writer99 »

Thats really great..nisus speaks german language now!
thanks, folks!
:lol: :lol:
jwx1

Slowww

Post by jwx1 »

Changes in existing document thru character panel (font, size) and and paragraph panel (spacing) take 30-45 secs to achieve. MUCH slower than b4, which was no demon itself.

iMac G5, Tiger build 8F46, 1G ram, etc.

John
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Reiner wrote:Does that mean, that German users don't have to buy the German expenisve version from computerworks.de which is available months after the English version anymore?
That is correct, German users will be able to just purchase the normal version of 2.6 when it is released by us.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Slowww

Post by martin »

jwx1 wrote:Changes in existing document thru character panel (font, size) and and paragraph panel (spacing) take 30-45 secs to achieve
Hi John, any chance you could send the file to expressfeedback@nisus.com and tell me what bit of text you are modifying?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

AppleScripts seem not to work when launched from the Macro menu in beta 5 (and I believe earlier betas). They run fine when launched from the Finder, and they run fine when launched from within NWE 2.5. Perl scripts don't seem to be affected.

I'm not sure what the problem is. The tell statement targets v26b5, so that's not the problem. Actually ScriptEditor (or something else) seems to automatically update the statement, depending on which version I've most recently run.

I'll try to send Feedback, but I post here in case anyone has any wisdom to share.

--Craig
gemboy27

new pallett window

Post by gemboy27 »

Not sure if I can explain this right, but here goes.

If you try to open a pallet window, like 'columns' for example from Windows/palletes and if that exists in a pallet group already it will act eratic.

My experience is it will appear as a floating window...as it should, (with arrow down as if it is opened), but you will not be able to see the information.

Also, if you have a window open, not in a pallet group, and you x it out, it will go to the original pallet group. I am unable to open the floating window, unless I then remove it from the pallet group it went to.

Gem*Boy
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Not necessarily as exciting as MacWorld, but final candidate 1 is available for download. The help files have been updated, the localizations tweaked a bit, and some bugs squashed.
Matze

Post by Matze »

martin wrote:Beta 5 is available for download. In addition to more fixes, this beta also has German and French localizations.
Hipp hipp hurra!

Großartig!

Thanks! When does a german NWE help will follow? Just kidding.

Matze
DavidK

Auto-saving and saving new (untitled) files

Post by DavidK »

Under 2.5 and prior version of Nisus, I was able to set the preferences to auto-save new files in the Document manager, but when I his command-S to save the file, it presented the standard Save menu, so I could choose a name for the file and a folder in which to save it.

My preferences in 2.5 were:
autosave; and
Do NOT keep new documents in document manager without asking me

The same settings in the 2.6 betas and fc1 give a different result. New, untitled files are not saved at all. If I check the box to keep new documents in the document manager w/o asking, then when I open a new document and save it using command-S, it saves it in the doc. manager with a name based on the first few words of the file. In order to save it with the name/location I wanted, I have to choose "save as . . . "

I much prefer the old behavior, in which auto-save causes all files to be temporary saved in the Doc. manager until command-S specifies what to name and where to save the file.
gemboy27

sections

Post by gemboy27 »

I am still finding that sections are kind of glitchy

I want three sections with three different (though similar) headers, I can get two, but when I add the third, the first becomes the third

Added: This seems to be related to the problem of styles not working well. I have a short cut of command-1 to make 'Character' format for a play I am writing. In 2.6 if I do cmd-1 it will not let me type, until I move the cursor up and down....

iMac 10.3.9 G4
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Greetings forum dwellers. There is another final candidate ready for testing. We expect to release soon, so please give it a try this weekend if you can. Thank you for your continued help in making Express a solid product, cheers!