too many footnotes?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Bart

too many footnotes?

Post by Bart »

I'm using NWE 2.5. In a thirty page document I'm editting I inserted a few (more) footnotes and all of a sudden the main text from there on disappeared in page view – in draft view it's still there. All I can see in page view is the footnotes on the following pages, all the way till the end. But the main text window is empty.

When I "print" the document to .pdf the result is the same: untill the page I inserted that last footnote all looks fine. The pages after it only contain footnotes (neatly at the bottom), but for the rest they're a nice virgin white.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Any Idea what to do about it (Yes I know: delete the footnotes, but that's not what I use NWE for!)

All the best
Bart
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Bart,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Express.

Please send a copy of the "offending" file (with a description of the problem) to us via the Send Feedback… command of the Help menu.

Or, you can send the file (with the description) to <support@nisus.com>.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Bart

Post by Bart »

[quote="rmark"] Please send a copy of the "offending" file ….[/quote

I'm afraid I cannot. I noticed afterwards that saving and closing the file, and then opening it again, brought back all the missing text in page view. So sending you a file would be of little use. I would guess that taking a text of several pages, adding a lot of footnotes and pasting in a few lines of text each time, might help you to reproduce the problem (it's what I just did). But as I said, the problem is a temporary one.

Revising the entire footnote/endnote procedure sounds like a very good and Nisus-like thing to do! O, and if you're at it, it would be nice if you could turn your footnotes into endnotes (and vise versa). One for the wish list?

Thanks
Bart
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

There is a way to convert between footnotes and endnotes. These instructions come from no less an authority than Mark Hurvitz, an official Nisus person. (You can click to read the entire earlier thread from which I've excerpted this.)

--Craig

QUOTATION FROM POST BY MARK HURVITZ:

Nisusoids,

Please try the following.

1. Put your insertion point in any footnote.

2. Choose Select All from the Edit menu.

3. Choose Endnote from the little lime green Notes Style tag on the Status bar at the bottom of the window.

That should switch all your footnotes to endnotes. You can do the reverse as well.

Now, let's say you want to change only some of your footnotes to endnotes.

1. Put your insertion point in any footnote and select some text.

2. Scroll until you see another footnote you want to change and non-contiguously select some more text of that second footnote. (Press COMMAND to select text non-contiguously.)

3. Choose Endnote from the little lime green Notes Style tag on the Status bar at the bottom of the window.

However, in this instance, I've noticed that there seems to be a renumbering bug (which has now been reported): Let's say that you have three footnotes and change numbers 1 and 3 to endnotes. These get renumbered correctly. However, the remaining footnote marker gets renumbered accurately in the document, though not in the note area.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Bart wrote:Revising the entire footnote/endnote procedure sounds like a very good and Nisus-like thing to do! O, and if you're at it, it would be nice if you could turn your footnotes into endnotes (and vise versa). One for the wish list?
This is already possible.

To change a footnote to an endnote or the opposite:

1. Put your insertion point in the footnote (or endnote) you want to change… or select the footnotes(!) or endnotes(!) you want to change.

2. Choose Endnote (or Footnote) from the Note tag:
on the Statusbar at the bottom of the document window.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Bart

Post by Bart »

This is already possible.

Excellent! I felt there must be way, but I couldn't find it. I'll have to give those colorful little widgets down under more attention than I did so far.

Thanks

Bart
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

To learn more about those little tags (You call them "widgets" the "official" term is tags):

1. Choose Nisus Writer Express Help from the Help menu.

2. In the Table of Contents on the left side of the Help window, in the Getting Started section click "The Nisus Writer Express Statusbar".
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Bart wrote:Excellent! I felt there must be way, but I couldn't find it. I'll have to give those colorful little widgets down under more attention than I did so far.
Yes, give them some more attention, and some food and lots of love, and they'll treat you and your text quite nicely.
jonathandueck

Re: too many footnotes?

Post by jonathandueck »

I've found that the following bug still appears for me in 2.6FC1... Insert a footnote which causes a paragraph to be broken up, and later on in the document, all the text disappears. Hit delete immediately prior to the pages of white space, and the text reappears. Seems like a drawing bug that is hopefully harmless, but definitely annoying. (It's also one that the feature list for the 2.6 betas says is fixed -- so perhaps someone could have a look at it before releasing the betas.)

--Jon
Bart wrote:I'm using NWE 2.5. In a thirty page document I'm editting I inserted a few (more) footnotes and all of a sudden the main text from there on disappeared in page view – in draft view it's still there. All I can see in page view is the footnotes on the following pages, all the way till the end. But the main text window is empty.

When I "print" the document to .pdf the result is the same: untill the page I inserted that last footnote all looks fine. The pages after it only contain footnotes (neatly at the bottom), but for the rest they're a nice virgin white.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Any Idea what to do about it (Yes I know: delete the footnotes, but that's not what I use NWE for!)

All the best
Bart
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: too many footnotes?

Post by rmark »

Unfortunately we've got nothing to help you at this time. You'll have to wait for 3.0 for notes to be fixed properly.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
holinesscode

I have same problem.

Post by holinesscode »

I have same problem.
May be there is a charater limits.
Can you check this file?

http://www.miqraot.com/AttachedFiles/FootNote.rtf
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

There is no hard character limit. The limiting factor is when a single footnote becomes taller than ~30% of the page.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
holinesscode

Post by holinesscode »

rmark wrote:The limiting factor is when a single footnote becomes taller than ~30% of the page.
Ah~ I wish that there is not footnote limit in coming version.
Thanks.