Help!

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
pubscout

Help!

Post by pubscout »

I downloaded a demo copy of NWE and now I can't find the application on my computer!

Any help would be appreciated.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

select the finder.

press pretzel+f

type in "nisus" in the dialog box that comes up.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The file you download from the Nisus site is a disk image file. Typically, it will download to your desktop. Look for something called "NWX-v25.dmg". Double-click this file to mount the disk image (as though you had just inserted a disk). When the disk image mounts and you see the open window, drag the Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Thesaurus applications to your Applications folder (or wherever you'd like them). You should be set.
pubscout

Post by pubscout »

Ryan wrote:The file you download from the Nisus site is a disk image file. Typically, it will download to your desktop. Look for something called "NWX-v25.dmg". Double-click this file to mount the disk image (as though you had just inserted a disk). When the disk image mounts and you see the open window, drag the Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Thesaurus applications to your Applications folder (or wherever you'd like them). You should be set.
Thanks, Ryan,

I had trashed the disk image, and when I resurrected it and launched it, I was good to go. But nowhere did I see any instructions with the download that said you had to copy it to your applications. I thought that odd, because when I first launched NWE, an alias automatically appeared in my dock, so I assumed it had gone directly to my apps file.

Tell me, when you copy NWE, doesn't the Thesaurus automatically go with it? I only copied NWE and my Thesaurus is active. But when I tried to drag the Thesaurus from the disk image to my apps, it wouldn't take.
pubscout

Post by pubscout »

midwinter wrote:select the finder.

press pretzel+f

type in "nisus" in the dialog box that comes up.
Pretzel? If you mean "Cloverleaf" I'm with you. But I did that, and all that came up from the search were some cache files.

I dragged my disk image from the trash and relaunched, then copied NWE to my applications. I'm good to go.

However, I recall nothing in the download instructions advising me to do that.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

When the disk image opens (depending on your browser, it may automatically), a Finder window pops up and has the Nisus Writer application, the Nisus Thesaurus application, and release notes. Right inside this window it tells you to drag the applications to your hard drive.

This seems like a strange way to install software to some people (one of my best friends had a heck of a time installing Camino because of it), it's become a fairly standard procedure for downloadable Mac OS X apps.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

pubscout wrote:Pretzel? If you mean "Cloverleaf" I'm with you.
I actually prefer "Deedlie Key."
pubscout

Post by pubscout »

midwinter wrote:
pubscout wrote:Pretzel? If you mean "Cloverleaf" I'm with you.
I actually prefer "Deedlie Key."
Where I come from, "deedling" has a whole different connotation.... :wink:
You've got to hand it to the Sumerians--inventing BOTH writing AND beer!
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

pubscout wrote:Where I come from, "deedling" has a whole different connotation.... :wink:
You're from Mississippi, too? ;)
pubscout

Post by pubscout »

midwinter wrote:
pubscout wrote:Where I come from, "deedling" has a whole different connotation.... :wink:
Close...Arkansas :lol:
You've got to hand it to the Sumerians--inventing BOTH writing AND beer!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

pubscout wrote:
midwinter wrote:
Close...Arkansas :lol:
Frankly, it sounds kinda weird no matter where you're from. :wink: