3.0 Feature Request List

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Mark. Though internally Nisus Writer Express refers to the "Document Manager," the folder is called "Nisus Documents." Nisus Writer Express should have automatically created the "Backups" folder and, I suppose, the others you mentioned. Just leave those sub-folders where they are (or were), directly inside the "Nisus Documents" folder. There's no need to create a "Document Manager" folder.

--Craig
Mark XM

Post by Mark XM »

cchapin wrote:Hi, Mark. Though internally Nisus Writer Express refers to the "Document Manager," the folder is called "Nisus Documents." Nisus Writer Express should have automatically created the "Backups" folder and, I suppose, the others you mentioned. Just leave those sub-folders where they are (or were), directly inside the "Nisus Documents" folder. There's no need to create a "Document Manager" folder.

--Craig
Thanks Craig! I must be beginning to turn into a Chinese or something ... :? The way I read Martin's post suggested that there should be a "Document Manager" folder.

Anyway, as I said, I now know where I can put the templates I create and have easy access to them. Perhaps Nisus should put something to that effect in the manual, that if you save templates to ~/Documents/Nisus Documents/ you can access them easily through the Document Manager, a bit like the system there was in Nisus Classic.
Mark
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I thought your idea of putting templates in the Document Manager was pretty ingenious. I see two potential pitfalls, though.

1. The Document Manager doesn't give you a box to uncheck, so you can't as easily open a template for editing through the Document Manager.

2. That delete button makes it a little too easy to accidentally delete a template. When I experimented with autosaving a while back, I periodically purged masses of documents at a time.

I'd like to see an Open from Template feature added under the File menu. Others have requested it, and I think it's a good idea and not too difficult to implement.

--Craig
Mark XM

Post by Mark XM »

cchapin wrote:I thought your idea of putting templates in the Document Manager was pretty ingenious. I see two potential pitfalls, though.

1. The Document Manager doesn't give you a box to uncheck, so you can't as easily open a template for editing through the Document Manager.
True ... but for the moment I survive by opening a template as a new document, making the changes and then saving it as a .dot file with the same name in the same location and saying replace.

Also, often, any changes I make are the result of actually working on a proper document, so when I've finished that and saved it, I re-open it, delete all the data, just preserving the style-sheet and anything like headers etc. I want to keep and then saving it as a .dot in the same way as above.
cchapin wrote:2. That delete button makes it a little too easy to accidentally delete a template. When I experimented with autosaving a while back, I periodically purged masses of documents at a time.
Since I don't use the Document Manager for actual documents--I like to be in full control of where they go, and I try to keep my folders pretty well organised with all the various types of files connected with, say, a particular course of lectures in a nested set of sub-folders under an overall one with the course title--the Document Manager's has hitherto usually been virtually empty and I am careful with the delete button.
cchapin wrote:I'd like to see an Open from Template feature added under the File menu. Others have requested it, and I think it's a good idea and not too difficult to implement.

--Craig
I'm one of the ones who's been banging on about it. I don't know about difficulty in implementing, but others of my favourite apps have it, particularly OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle, and it's truly something I am hoping for. It would beat the Document Manager as a solution hands down!

Mark
blakers

"All Caps" and "Small Caps"

Post by blakers »

mmm.johnson wrote:Here's some format options I really miss (from Word, natch):

• "All Caps" and "Small Caps" (as attributes, not through conversion)
can someone verify if this is really true? AllCaps/SmallCaps not possible in 2.7?

thanks.
Patrick J

Re: "All Caps" and "Small Caps"

Post by Patrick J »

blakers wrote:
mmm.johnson wrote:Here's some format options I really miss (from Word, natch):

• "All Caps" and "Small Caps" (as attributes, not through conversion)
can someone verify if this is really true? AllCaps/SmallCaps not possible in 2.7?

thanks.
Uppercase, lower case and capitalise are all available from the Convert submenu of the Edit menu. This is done by conversion but I think that mmm.johnson is requesting that this should be done by a style attribution which Word offers as well.
blakers

Re: "All Caps" and "Small Caps"

Post by blakers »

Patrick J wrote:Uppercase, lower case and capitalise are all available from the Convert submenu of the Edit menu.
that's what i've found, as well.

which for SmallCaps, is, imho, a simply non-workable solution.
This is done by conversion but I think that mmm.johnson is requesting that this should be done by a style attribution which Word offers as well.
as does Pages.

until this is done, importing documents WITH style-attributed SmallCaps is a destructive event.

thanks for the sanity check.
pantrax

Post by pantrax »

I just downloaded the demo of Express a few days ago, and was, despite all warnings, dismayed to find it in many ways very unlike Nisus Writer, of which I became a fervent devotee in 8.6, despite its occassional crashes (these disappeared in 9.22, which I got along with 10.4. a few weeks ago. Writer is one of the main reasons I descided to buy a dual-boot machine rather than a new Macintel) Pathetically, the thing which upset me most was the abscense (I thought) of a way to convert between upper and lowercase, so I was glad to find this was not so. I may actually buy Express now. It seems a silly quibble, I realize, but I, being a bit of a fumble-fingers, use these functions a great deal. With no toolbar support (that I could find, if anybody knows one, please reply), I suppose I shall hot-key them and see how that works

I agree, however, that smallcaps is a must-have. For that matter, I have more than a few styles set up for ALL-CAPS for section titles and such. I'll miss that, too.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I concur about the style-based all-caps/small-caps. That would be incredibly useful, for things like titles or subheadings or what-have-you.

I do it in CSS, and I want to do it in Express!
foobar

3.0 plans?

Post by foobar »

Any update on what features are planned for 3.0 and/or when to expect it? I know this is sometimes a delicate question, but it's been a while and any information would help us users make our plans.
midwinter

Re: 3.0 plans?

Post by midwinter »

foobar wrote:Any update on what features are planned for 3.0 and/or when to expect it? I know this is sometimes a delicate question, but it's been a while and any information would help us users make our plans.
I wouldn't expect anything publicly other than some kind of notification of whether they'll release a public beta.

Personally, I fully expect to see the "make my writing not suck" preference in 3.0.
gemboy27

okay lets dance

Post by gemboy27 »

ImageHe I was thinking a call to arms

that would be stick man arms.

Asking the beta testers to submit all their writing that does suck, to see if NWE 3.0 works

boogie for world peace!
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't have any writing that sucks. Sorry, Nisus folks.

I have plenty that blows, though. Will that do?

I also have writing that craves style-based small-caps, background-colors, enhanced full-screen mode, and a template manager.

Oh, and world peace.
gemboy27

get down, get down....get down tonight

Post by gemboy27 »

My trouble is I have writing that 'dances' it is a thing of beauty(tob).

Well it would be a tob if it was on tempo, is there a way v 3.0 could tap into my mp3 player so my writing isn't like two left feet?

You can image how pathetic it is to have writing that dances the walz to Jungle Booge.

total bong water if you know what I mean

wp in v3.0 is optimism, not a dream
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Jzents

Post by Jzents »

Ryan wrote:I concur about the style-based all-caps/small-caps. That would be incredibly useful, for things like titles or subheadings or what-have-you.

I do it in CSS, and I want to do it in Express!
Well, if NWE is going to support Unicode systematically then in will only be able to have small caps in those fonts that actually have a small cap font. Those that do not, would not. And for typographical reasons, I would not want NWE to go into faking them a la Word. I would want NWE to follow Mellel on this, no font features that are not in the font. My two cents! Cheers!
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com