Rulers ala Nisus Writer Classic?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
MAH

Post by MAH »

One of the things that I love about NW Classic is the ability to copy and paste rulers (without the hassle of setting styles, etc.) I can't figure out how to do something similar in NW Express, so I am hoping that one of you can help me.

At the bottom of a NW Express window (i.e. in the status bar), there is a little ruler icon that brings up a menu item labeled "Copy ruler." How does one then paste a ruler? And is there a possibility of naming a ruler? Or of visualizing the position of each ruler ala NW Classic?

According to p. 8 of the manual, this should be discussed on p. 61; however, I cannot find anything pertaining to this topic.

Thanks in advance,

Melissa
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

In the Edit menu, choose Paste > Paste Ruler. That should apply the ruler you copied to the paragraph(s) selected.

I didn't use NW Classic, so I can't compare that to the "visualization" features of that version. Sorry.
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

Many people are still attached to the way NW Classic does this. I have to admit that it's nice to have a tiny icon attached to every parargraph. That icon represents the styles attached to that paragraph, and you can cut and paste the styles by cutting and pasting the ruler.

You can do that in NWX, but the ruler icon is invisible. If you place the insertion point anywhere in a paragraph, you can copy its style; if you place the insertion point anywhere in a different paragraph, you can paste the style you just copied.

The difference is that you hold down the control key in addition to CMD-C or CMD-V.
Al Hatch
MAH

Post by MAH »

The other thing that I really like about Nisus Writer Classic is the ability to choose your ruler from a menu. This is very useful when writing complex, hierarchical documents (like some of my problem sets.) Because of all of the different font issues in scientific writing, I rarely use styles.

Melissa
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

MAH wrote:Because of all of the different font issues in scientific writing, I rarely use styles.
I have typeset technical reference journals, my own lectures notes, problem sets, exams using framemaker. Having many different fonts is not a reason not to use characters styles, but is a good reason to use character styles. It allows for a more consistent document that it easier to create and much easier to edit. The problem lies in the initial setup. You need to create a template that has all the styles you will need. It is a different workflow, but a better one. The issue in Nisus, is that if you have a plethora of styles it is not easy to pick the one you want without using a mouse.

Mike
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

MikeKazlow wrote:The issue in Nisus, is that if you have a plethora of styles it is not easy to pick the one you want without using a mouse.
I make pretty heavy use of keyboard shortcuts for styles. Does that not help you in your work?

--Craig