Chapter Numbering in NWE 2.5b6

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Matze

Chapter Numbering in NWE 2.5b6

Post by Matze »

Hi there,

first: NWE 2.5 gets better with every beta. Keep on the good work!

second: just a question out of curiousity:
Why did you abandoned the old NWC feature, where you could insert a chapter number where ever you wanted to? Why did you prefer to give us Automatic Numbers?

Are chapter numbers as in NWC impossible due to OS X architecture?
Is this on your to-do-list?

Best, Matze
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Matze,

Thank you for the kind words.

Think of your chapter headings as a kind of hierarchical list.

(from the new documentation)

Creating Lists

Nisus Writer Express enables you to create various kinds of lists that automatically increment.

Six list “styles” come built into Nisus Writer Express. You can use these “out of the box” or you can modify, or add to them at will.

The appearance of the list, its indents, the format of the numbers, starting number, increment value, etc. are all controlled by the Lists palette and the List Styles portion of the Style Sheet view.

Nisus Writer Express offers numerous methods for creating your numbered lists, from the standard menus (the Lists submenu of the Format menu) , the Toolbar, and the Lists palette of the Tooldrawer. In addition, you can use the keyboard if you assign keyboard shortcuts to the standard menu commands. When your insertion point is in a range of text that is part of a list you can modify that list’s format from the List (“number”) tag at the bottom of the document window.

While the List button on the Toolbar is probably the easiest way to insert a list, because it may not always be visible, the following instructions explain how to use lists by referring to the standard menus. All the other methods can be used interchangeably.

About lists

As a rule, list item numbers (if they appear (bullets are not numbers)), appear in sequence.

A particular list item gets its number from the previously used number of the same list style and the same list level.

Each list style can have the option Continue Throughout Document turned on or off in the Style Sheet view.

• If Continue Throughout Document is turned on,all list items on the same level in the entire document appear numbered consecutively (regardless of whatever content may appear between them, including other lists).

• If Continue Throughout Document is turned off, all list items would restart after each interruption in the list.

To insert a bulleted list:

1 Choose Bullet List from the Lists submenu of the Format menu.

2 Begin typing.

Each time you press RETURN, your new paragraph will begin with a bullet.

To end a bulleted list:

º Choose None from the Lists submenu of the Format menu.

To apply bullets to a series of paragraphs:

1 Select the paragraphs you want to have bulleted.

2 Choose Bullet List from the Lists submenu of the Format menu.

If you put your insertion point inside the series of bullets, each time you press RETURN, your new paragraph will begin with a bullet.

Nisus Writer Express supplies a variety of bullet styles.

To insert an automatically incrementing list:

The remainder of the supplied list styles automatically increment each time you press RETURN.

• Headings

Uses (European) Arabic numerals (1, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc.) to number and causes the numbers to appear at the far left (or right in right to left sections), i.e. along the margin. Designed to be used in conjunction with the Heading 1, etc. styles.

This style (as supplied) continues numbering throughout the document. You can associate this list style to the Headings styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) to automatically increment all the headings in your document.

• Lettered List

• Numbered List

• Outline

• Tiered List

1 Choose your desired list style from the Lists submenu of the Format menu.

2 Begin typing.

Each time you press RETURN, your new paragraph will begin with a bullet or whatever your selected list style has determined as the appropriate glyph.

To begin using the next level of a list:

Each list style begins at whatever number or letter you have determined in the List palette. The numbers (or letters) increment every time you press RETURN. Each list style consists of a cascading series of numbers as illustrated in the Style Sheet view.

1 When your insertion point is at the end of a paragraph which is part of an automatically incrementing list, press RETURN.

2 Press TAB.

Pressing TAB actually causes the display to change to the next lower level number.

To return to a higher level of a list:

After you begin numbering paragraphs at a lower level of the list, you can return to a higher level.

1 When your insertion point is at the end of a paragraph which is part of an automatically incrementing list, press RETURN.

2 Press DELETE.
Pressing DELETE actually causes the display to change to the next higher level number.

To restart numbering:

You can interrupt the natural flow of a numbering sequence (or restore that flow).

1 Select at least one character in the paragraph you want to have begin the numbering sequence.

2 Choose Restart Numbering from the Lists submenu of the Format menu.

To resume numbering:

If you interrupt the natural flow of a numbering sequence you can resume that sequence.

1 Select at least one character in the paragraph where the numbering sequence was restarted.

2 Choose Continue Numbering from Previous from the Lists submenu of the Format menu.

¯ The commands Restart Numbering and Continue Numbering from Previous toggle, depending on the state of the paragraph you have selected.

To modify list styles:

You can modify list styles in the same way you modify any other styles in Nisus Writer Express as explained in To modify a style.

You can use any of the palettes to modify the font, size and style of the number. In addition you can use the Lists palette to modify the type of number, its horizontal location , its format, the starting number, the amount by which it increments as well as any characters that appear in front of or following it. You determine whether or not the number sequence continues throughout the entire document using the checkbox in the Style Sheet view.

Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If I understand correctly, you are looking to be able to setup arbitrary counters that can exist anywhere in your document. Right now you can't do this. That said there are two good ways to do "chapter numbers":

1. Section numbers: if you divide your chapters with section breaks, then just insert a section number wherever you would like to see a chapter number.

2. List styles: make a list style that has the format "Chapter #". Turn on the "continue throughout document" option for this list style.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hello Mark,

thanks for replying.
rmark wrote: Nisus Writer Express enables you to create various kinds of lists that automatically increment.
This is what I do not want to do: lists that automatically increment, when hitting return, so that I am forced to enable the numbering before writing a new paragraph.

I just want to number a certain paragraph with a certain command and the forget about it until I want to number the next paragraph.

When a few years ago I used Nisus Writer 5.1 for the first time, I understood the way NW numbered chapters immediatley. It was as if I were handwriting those numbers only that NW knew the next higher number, even when I already had forgotten, what the last chapternumber has been.

This what I am looking for. Just let me write single numbers, no lists, no styles, no disabling afterwards. (in NWE-speak: ending a list by choosing None from the Lists submenu of the Format menu.

It was so easy in NW Classic. Why has NWE to be difficult?

Best, Matze
Matze

Post by Matze »

martin wrote:If I understand correctly, you are looking to be able to setup arbitrary counters that can exist anywhere in your document. Right now you can't do this. That said there are two good ways to do "chapter numbers":

1. Section numbers: if you divide your chapters with section breaks, then just insert a section number wherever you would like to see a chapter number.

2. List styles: make a list style that has the format "Chapter #". Turn on the "continue throughout document" option for this list style.
Hi Martin,

thanks for that "solution". As I mentioned above, I am looking for a way of inserting numbers the easy way, no section breaks, no continue throughot document options. This results from automatic lists as a standard. Fine thing those lists, but only for list purposes, chapternumbers are no lists, thus I want to handle them differently.

Best, Matze