Jumbled words at end of line

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
phensel

Jumbled words at end of line

Post by phensel »

Has anybody else had problems with text jumbling together at the end of a line? This has happened to me several times, throughout the alpha/beta cycle so far (I don't remember if it also happened with 2.1.3 and earlier), but it's been rare -- maybe 5 times out of the hundreds of documents (each with hundreds or thousands of lines of text) that I have worked with during this time.

When this has happened to me, the first line of text in a paragraph occasionally doesn't wrap properly, and a number of characters jumble together at the end of the line to make a big mess. Some number of characters later, the line wraps as expected, and the rest of the paragraph looks fine -- it's just the first line that is affected. I wonder if there is some "magic" number of characters in a line that can trigger this problem, because adding or deleting even a single word early in the first line will solve the problem. Looking back, I may have had the text formatted as justified in the documents where this has happened, although I'm not 100% sure.

Paul
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Paul, I received the document you submitted via our Feedback mechanism. Thank you for isolating a test case for us. I'll tell you that one or two other people have reported the problem as occurring infrequently for them as well. We're still looking at it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I've verified that this is actually a bug with Apple's core text engine (which we build upon). Unofficially they say that it is fixed internally, which means this should be fixed in Nisus Writer Express automatically when a version of Tiger is released with the fix.
phensel

Post by phensel »

Great -- thank you for looking into this and finding an answer so quickly!

Paul
noteon

Post by noteon »

martin wrote:I've verified that this is actually a bug with Apple's core text engine (which we build upon). Unofficially they say that it is fixed internally, which means this should be fixed in Nisus Writer Express automatically when a version of Tiger is released with the fix.
I've got a 10,000-word Nisus document that's plagued by this problem. Doing a SELECT ALL, bumping the linespacing up to 2.1 and then back to 2 makes it go away, but it's still disconcerting. Is there anything I can do without upgrading to Tiger?

Thanks.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Sorry.

There is nothing you can do without upgrading to Tiger.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.