Express 2.5 Beta Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Final Candidate 1

Post by dave »

We are getting very near the end, as someone once said. Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Final Candidate 1 can be downloaded from <a href="http://www.nisus.com/express/beta/">here</A>. It now contains updated help files and there is also a beta version of the pdf manual at the beta page.

Read all about the latest fixes on the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/relea ... p">release notes page</A>.

Once again, thank you for your continued support.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Holy crap, guys! This thing is FAST!
martinkerz

Post by martinkerz »

I've now read the linkback entry in the Nisus help. As I see it, I've used LinkBack exactly how it should be done. But, still in fc1, linkback between OmniGraffle 4 (beta2) and NWX doesn't work. Moreover when double clicking on the pasted graphic, you get the spinning beachball and NWX hangs. :-(
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

martinkerz wrote:I've now read the linkback entry in the Nisus help. As I see it, I've used LinkBack exactly how it should be done. But, still in fc1, linkback between OmniGraffle 4 (beta2) and NWX doesn't work. Moreover when double clicking on the pasted graphic, you get the spinning beachball and NWX hangs. :-(
Something's up with your setup. Works fine on my end. Try deleting the prefs for OG and NWE.
martinkerz

Post by martinkerz »

midwinter wrote:
martinkerz wrote:I've now read the linkback entry in the Nisus help. As I see it, I've used LinkBack exactly how it should be done. But, still in fc1, linkback between OmniGraffle 4 (beta2) and NWX doesn't work. Moreover when double clicking on the pasted graphic, you get the spinning beachball and NWX hangs. :-(
Something's up with your setup. Works fine on my end. Try deleting the prefs for OG and NWE.
Trashed the prefs of both. Still doesn't work. The console doesn't give any output either. :-/
dave
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Final Candidate 2

Post by dave »

Another day, another final candidate. This one has a few more fixes, which you can read about <a href="http://www.nisus.com/express/beta/relea ... p">here</A>.

You can download this version <a href="http://www.nisus.com/express/beta/">from this page</A>.

If you find any bugs, report them quickly. This is probably your last chance.

Again, thank you for your continued support.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

I have tested both NWE 2.5fc1 and fc2 together with OmniGraffle Pro 4rc2 and LinkBack works like a charm.

The only thing that surprised me, is the fact that when I use LinkBack, it's not the original graphic that is opened when I double click on the graphics e.g. within NWE. Instead it's opening a copy of it. The original graphic in the original file, is still untouched. This behavior has both pros and cons, as far as I can tell. But no matter what, LinkBack is great!
Peter Edwardsson
martinkerz

Post by martinkerz »

I got it. It works if I keep OmniGraffle open. When I double click on the pasted graphic when OG is open, everything works fine. Thanks.

Nevertheless it doesn't open OmniGraffle when it is closed. Should this be possible?
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

martinkerz wrote:Nevertheless it doesn't open OmniGraffle when it is closed. Should this be possible?
Never thought about it before you asked. It seems only to be working if the appropriated applications already are opened and running. If this is how it should be working or not, I'm afraid I do not know.
Peter Edwardsson
cgc

Post by cgc »

Nisus 2.5fc1 looks great. How do I insert an odd symbol such as a lambda, sigma, or mu which I seem to use often?

Also, when I copy text from another document or web site and paste it into my document in Nisus, the formatting is retained. Is there a way to paste the text and have it conform to the lok and style that Nisus is using? For example, I use Times New Roman 10pt most of the time. When I paste in from a web site that uses Helvetica 12 pt, the text is inserted using Helvetica 12pt. I have to manually change it to Times New Roman 10 pt. One of the few things I like about Word for XP is that I can either select Paste Special then select paste text only or when I paste it I can click on that thing that pops up next to the pasted text and select Reformat to look like existing text (or something similar). I NEED THIS IN NISUS.
martinkerz

Post by martinkerz »

cgc wrote: I NEED THIS IN NISUS.
This is indeed possible! Try: Edit > Paste > Paste Text Only

This provides exactly what you're looking for.
cgc

Post by cgc »

martinkerz wrote:
cgc wrote: I NEED THIS IN NISUS.
This is indeed possible! Try: Edit > Paste > Paste Text Only

This provides exactly what you're looking for.
Thanks for pointing out the fact I need new glasses immediately...not sure how I overlooked that. The issue of inserting symbols can be solved via the INPUTS menu (part of INTERNATIONAL prefs within SYSTEM PREFERENCES) not ideal, but workable.

Thanks again!
dshan

Post by dshan »

cgc wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the fact I need new glasses immediately...not sure how I overlooked that. The issue of inserting symbols can be solved via the INPUTS menu (part of INTERNATIONAL prefs within SYSTEM PREFERENCES) not ideal, but workable.

Thanks again!
There's no need to use the inputs menu for most such symbols (the most common ones anyway), use the Apple standard <option> key combinations from the keyboard. You can find these using the Keyboard Viewer application. This is described in the NWX help file and the User's Guide.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

There's no need to use the inputs menu for most such symbols (the most common ones anyway), use the Apple standard <option> key combinations from the keyboard. You can find these using the Keyboard Viewer application. This is described in the NWX help file and the User's Guide.
I think you mean "the Apple™ standard key combinations® from the keyboard©. You¢ can find these using the Këyböàrd Viëwer application."

/Spinal Tap joke: What drives me nuts, though, is that you can't put an ümlaut over an "a." ;)
cgc

Post by cgc »

NW2.5fc1 starts off and is quick, but as I type it slowed and slowed until I was having trouble deleting characters via BACKSPACE. NW was using 80% CPU just when I typed. The document was started in NW and was two pages with a numbered list and a table. My Mac is a 1GHz G4 Tower, 1Gig memory, 80GB Hard drive, and Radeon 8500 card. Word is faster for me...which really bothers me as I prefer NW.