Express 2.5 Beta Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

shades wrote:I just noticed a problem in Beta 4. If I type something in parentheses, then I expect the smart quotes to be properly curled. Thus, in the following example:

("just wait until I come," mother said)

I expect the first quote mark to be curved such that it would reflect the beginning of a quote, as normally in "just wait until I come". However, try typing the example, and you discover smart quote puts the first quote sign backward as if this is the last of the quote, rather than the beginning of the quote.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think we'll be able to fix this for the next beta, but it will be done before release I'm sure.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 5

Post by dave »

Express 2.5 Beta 5 is now available for <a href="http://www.nisus.com/express/beta">download</A>. As in the last beta, we would appreciate if you would test for Classic file conversion, keyboard shortcuts, and new in this release, header/footer stability.

The complete list of release notes is <a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/relea ... p">here</A>.

Thanks, and happy testing!
Tacitus

Re: Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 5

Post by Tacitus »

dave wrote:Express 2.5 Beta 5 is now available...........
Thanks, and happy testing!
For me both b4 and b5 have been much slower than b3. With b5 even on short files scrolling is jerky and verging on the spinning beachball. There seems to be a greater amount of formatting going on in the background as things improve after a while, although still not as good as b3. No idea if this is correct, but it seems a backward step after b3 which was very quick. Footnotes seem OK but opening Classic files is a bit hit or miss. I've sent a test file to feedback for them to look at.

cheers

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
JBL

Post by JBL »

dave wrote:...if you would test for Classic file conversion...
Thanks! Classic file conversion seems to have improved a lot. One question... It seems that the line spacing changes radically. That is double spacing in Classic is much narrower than double spacing in Express. There was some discussion about this wrt to conversion from Word a while ago but I forgot what the final word on that was. Anyway this seems to be an acceptable solution for most of my NW Classic files.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

JBL wrote:
dave wrote:...if you would test for Classic file conversion...
Thanks! Classic file conversion seems to have improved a lot. One question... It seems that the line spacing changes radically. That is double spacing in Classic is much narrower than double spacing in Express. There was some discussion about this wrt to conversion from Word a while ago but I forgot what the final word on that was. Anyway this seems to be an acceptable solution for most of my NW Classic files.
Along those same lines, I would very much like to see the default "spacing after" set to 0. Every time I notice it, it reminds me of my students futzing with the kerning to make their essays look longer.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

midwinter wrote:Along those same lines, I would very much like to see the default "spacing after" set to 0. Every time I notice it, it reminds me of my students futzing with the kerning to make their essays look longer.
I second. That's one of the first things I changed, but it's mildly irritating, nonetheless.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 6

Post by dave »

Just in time for the weekend, Express 2.5 beta 6 is here. Download from the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/express/beta/">usual place</A>.

A number of issues have been fixed, including right to left language input, tables, opening Word Perfect documents, and page numbers in headers/footers in Panther (Mac OS X 10.3.x). Please see the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/relea ... p">release notes</A> for all of the details.

Thank you, good luck, and happy weekend testing.
GeoffRoynon

Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 6

Post by GeoffRoynon »

The new beta fixes the problem I was having with A4 paper size and landscape printing but now when I print I get hundreds of the following messages in the console log:

Aug 28 09:57:51 Fenris /Applications/Beta Software/Nisus Beta/Nisus Writer Express beta6.app/Contents/MacOS/Nisus Writer Express: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context
Aug 28 09:57:51 Fenris /Applications/Beta Software/Nisus Beta/Nisus Writer Express beta6.app/Contents/MacOS/Nisus Writer Express: CGContextGetCTM: invalid context
Aug 28 09:57:51 Fenris /Applications/Beta Software/Nisus Beta/Nisus Writer Express beta6.app/Contents/MacOS/Nisus Writer Express: CGContextSetStrokePattern: invalid context
Aug 28 09:57:51 Fenris /Applications/Beta Software/Nisus Beta/Nisus Writer Express beta6.app/Contents/MacOS/Nisus Writer Express: CGContextConcatCTM: invalid context

Is this anything to worry about?
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
hatchmo

Hyperlinks in Documents

Post by hatchmo »

I cannot say enough for the hyperlink feature.

I can now drag-and-drop a selection from a Web page, and all the links are preserved. I can then change the size and style of the text, and... the links are preserved. I can cut and paste a link.

Say Hallelujah! (You may now take your hand off the radio.)
Al Hatch
DavidK

downloading Beta6

Post by DavidK »

I have tried 4 times to download beta6 -- using Safari and Firefox, and have been unable to do so today. Is there a problem with the download server?

Fifth time is the charm, I guess. It's working.
Last edited by DavidK on 2005-08-29 11:49:04, edited 1 time in total.
MacSailor

Re: downloading Beta6

Post by MacSailor »

DavidK wrote:I have tried 4 times to download beta6 -- using Safari and Firefox, and have been unable to do so today. Is there a problem with the download server?
I tried some minutes ago (using OmniWeb 5.1.1) and had no problems whatsoever to download the beta6 to Sweden.

Are you able to download from other servers?
Peter Edwardsson
martinkerz

Post by martinkerz »

Okay, how does Linkback work? I tried to paste in an OmniGraffle (4 beta) scribble into a Nisus Writer document (with 2.5 beta 6). I thought that OmniGraffle would open automatically when I double clicked the graphic. But nothing happens. Moreover, Nisus shows the spinning beachball when I try to manipulate the graphic (i.e. seems to get unresponsive when working with this graphic)...

So what am I doing wrong?
dave
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 7

Post by dave »

Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 7 is now available in the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/">usual location</A>. There are a few more fixes, which can be seen in the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/relea ... p">release notes</A>.

Again, we thank you for your help testing, and for your continued support.
gemboy27

stating the obvious

Post by gemboy27 »

Just want to mention to those beta users that like auto save, beta 7 comes with auto save turned off.

Also I glitch that I've noticed of late. if you want the spelling or synonyms of a word that is in the middle of the text (for example 'late' in this paragraph) and your cursor is at the end of the paragraph.. if you put the cursor behind 'late' (the work you want to target) there is a very slow response time. However if you highlight the word, not so much a problem at all.

I think that has been fixed in b-7.

Does anyone know why, when pasting text from a browser (foxfire) it automatically pastes in with a stile of 6 pts. after paragraph. Or perhaps more importantly how to have that not happen?

G4
10.3.9[/b]
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
midwinter

Re: Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 7

Post by midwinter »

dave wrote:Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 7 is now available in the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/">usual location</A>. There are a few more fixes, which can be seen in the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/relea ... p">release notes</A>.

Again, we thank you for your help testing, and for your continued support.
Anything in particular you'd like us all to hammer on? I've been using it all day and it's working fine.