OASIS File Formats

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Oronet_Commander

RTF is a very inefficient format for sharing

Post by Oronet_Commander »

Hi all,

When RTF is considered as a format to share your documents, it is usually neglected the fact that every app seems to have its own level of RTF-compliance. Nisus' is extremely good, but when you open its RTF documents in different word processors one can see how format is distorted in many places (tables and margins are usual offenders).

I DO support, as I did in a former thread, the support of OpenDocument in modern word processors. I think in this case, to be an early adopter could be a competitive advantage, more even in the Mac where no real alternative exists.
riccardo

RTF is somewhat open

Post by riccardo »

If you ask Microsoft, they would probably say that all their products are open to use as a standard, but that the deep-going code is untouchable by anyone outside Microsoft. Just my guess.
I suppose the one good thing you can say about RTF is that the format is published IIRC. It's an "open" format, it's just not open source.
Ryan

Re: RTF is somewhat open

Post by Ryan »

riccardo wrote:I suppose the one good thing you can say about RTF is that the format is published IIRC. It's an "open" format, it's just not open source.
I may be wrong, but I'm not sure the phrase "open source" can be applied to a text format like this. RTF is openly published, is made of text commands within a file, and is incorporated in both open and closed source applications.

I think the important thing is that RTF is usable by anyone who wants to use it, to write/read, or to use in a program.