newbie question- accepting auto completions- which key?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
bluloo

newbie question- accepting auto completions- which key?

Post by bluloo »

Howdy,

I'm test driving express and I like the auto suggest completions.

I can't figure out which simple key combo allows me to accept suggestions when the entire word appears on the page without the pop-up window.

For example I'll type "adulthood". when I reach the "h" it completes the word with "ood" and other options disappear. There doesn't seem to be a convenient key combo I can use to accept the spelling (enter, space bar etc) and have the cursor appear at the end of the line.

For example, the return key enters a return and the space bar enters a space, both keys deleting the suggested completion..

When the window is visible I can use the enter key and it accepts the highlighted word, no window, no accept...

I really like this feature in neooffice (space bar ignores the suggestion and enter key accepts it).

• What is the key combo or key to accept auto suggestions? (please tell me I don't have to reach for the esc key etc) ;-)

Also, will their be an option for NWX to auto suggest completions based on previous typed words?

I need a solid, easy to use and versatile WP for my PhD research and dissertation. Word makes me ill (22 hours were spent fighting with the app-from-hell to complete a single Master's paper.. never again...).

NeoOffice is neat but its a bit cumbersome and borders on Wordbloat™.

NWX seems to be the closest thing to an excellent alternative to Word.

I've downloaded NWX several times but am only now giving it a serious try.

thanks in advance

Louis
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Louis:

You should be able to achieve what you want with the right arrow key. Just press that to deselect the inserted portion of the word.

We do plan on adding support for autocomplete of previous words in the document, but it is not super high one our list right now. It is surprisingly more complicated than you would think.

-C
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

thank you for the reply.

is there another key that I can use or map to that function? The arrow key isn't convenient as I have to move my hand from the typing position to hit that key (I'm on a 12" powerbook and do most of my typing on it).

It's actually disruptive to my workflow, as petty as it may sound.

I wouldn't say it's a must have feature for me but that alone does keep me coming back to NeoOfficeJ from time to time.

Thanks again

Louis