Saving a Document

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
beetone

Saving a Document

Post by beetone »

When I make a change to an existing document (i.e., previously saved) and then click the button to close it, a window opens showing it as untitled and asking where it should be saved, etc.
Thus I finish up with two versions, the original (before the changes) and the new, changed version.
What’s happening? It wasn’t doing this until today and I have not, I think, made any changes to the preferences settings.
And I’m *not* hitting “Save As”!
docbnj

Post by docbnj »

Yes, I have experience the problem that I cannot save any changes to a document made with NWE before the 2.1.2 version.

The work-around is to select all in old document, and copy and paste into a new, fresh NWE document. Then you can save changes.

It is tedious, but until they fix this rather major glitsch, it is all you can do.
beetone

Saving a Document

Post by beetone »

Thanks for the info. Actually, I am using version 2.1.1. I am glad that I didn’t update to 2.1.2 as I presume that I would have trouble saving changes to all the documents hitherto created. Have the Nisus folks acknowledged this problem and indicated when a fix is coming?
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

the problem that docbnj is having with saving is not the same thing as you are experiencing, beetone. We are looking into docbnj's problem and we will fix it as soon as possible.

As for your document, can you tell the format of the original file? Are you working in a document from Nisus Writer 6.5 or earlier?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
darla

Post by darla »

I am having a smiliar problem - when I make changes to a document that was created in Classic, but had been resaved as an RTF in Nisus Writer Express, and then Save using the Apple+S function, I "lose" the document. The icon for the doc turns from the page with the Nisus guy to a blank white page. Then when I double-click to open the document from my Documents folder, it either a) doesn't open or b) opens blank.

The only way I have been able to combat this is to open the "lost" document using TextEdit, re-save as a .txt document. Then I open it in NWX and then save-as a RTF. While this rescues the document, it doesn't solve the problem. (Not to mention the moment of sheer horror when one thinks that a document has been lost to the ether.)
phensel

Lost documents?

Post by phensel »

darla,

When this document appeared to be lost (with the white icon and everything), did its filename end with an ".rtf" suffix? Since you saved it as an RTF file from Nisus Writer Express, I think this should be there by default (rather than leaving the document without a suffix at all), but I just want to make sure.

The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem with am old document I converted from AppleWorks. I had opened the original document and saved as RTF from within AppleWorks, but I didn't notice that it had been saved without the .rtf suffix. It opened the first time in Nisus (this might have been version 2.1 -- it was definitely before the 2.5 betas), but after I saved and quit, I got the white document icon and couldn't open the file again. Fortunately I only lost a few minutes' work, and I didn't have any more problems after I resaved the AppleWorks document with the .rtf suffix; I've never had any problems with documents that include the suffix, regardless of how they were created/converted.

Paul
darla

saving RTF

Post by darla »

Yes, it is saved as an RTF, that is the default. (These are documnets, mostly, that were created in Nisus Classic, and then I opened and resaved as RTF in Nisus Writer Express.) But when the document icon becomes the plain white icon, I believe it then is TXT. It happened again this morning, except this time all the changes were lost.

The most difficult part about this is that I am not acutally the one using the program and having the problems. It's my boss. So the pressure is really on me to find a solution, which is hopefully not switching to Word (ugh).