Express Sneak Peek Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

2.5a5 is out. Could you Nisus people please post some kind of "what's new" list somewhere when you release these?
dave
Official Nisus Person

Express 2.5 Alpha Build 5 Now Available

Post by dave »

As midwinter said, a new alpha version is available. Download from our <a href="http://www.nisus.com/sneakpeek">Sneak Peek page</A>.

Enjoy!
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

I have just started using 2.5 alpha 5 and can't get the spelling window to work. If I control-click on a high-lighted word and select "Learn spelling", nothing happens. Have tried going in to the spelling window through the Edit pulldown and same thing.

Geoff
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
gemboy27

crash and crash and crash

Post by gemboy27 »

it was a large documents in pages, I had edited in MS Word (on a PC), saving as a rtf though, when I opened on a mac it was spaced 1.3 and when I try to convert it to single space it crashed

the send a report just flounders, with a spinning ball, but never actually sending
\

2.5.a4
os 10.3.9
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
jwx1

Screen redraw improved, not perfect

Post by jwx1 »

The screen redraw on edit seems to work fine, but still see white lines thru text while scrolling. Screen is redrawn correctly when scroll is stopped.

Overall, interface is pleasant to use and imminently usable.

Good work!

NWE 2.5a5
imacG5, Tiger 10.4.1, iG mem.
economics

not just spell check, also fonts

Post by economics »

I tried selecting text and then using the font window to apply my "favorites" without success. I can change fonts if I got to the drawer and select the font from the scroll-down list. I then have to separately apply the font size.
drjdg

Post by drjdg »

GeoffRoynon wrote:I have just started using 2.5 alpha 5 and can't get the spelling window to work. If I control-click on a high-lighted word and select "Learn spelling", nothing happens. Have tried going in to the spelling window through the Edit pulldown and same thing.
I too have had this problem -- and for me it's a real issue as I often work in three languages (English, German & Dutch) and I can't spell very well in two of them!

Anyone know why this issue has crept into 2.5a5? The spelling window worked well in 2.5a4.
mosesmuses

Post by mosesmuses »

drjdg wrote:
GeoffRoynon wrote:I have just started using 2.5 alpha 5 and can't get the spelling window to work. If I control-click on a high-lighted word and select "Learn spelling", nothing happens. Have tried going in to the spelling window through the Edit pulldown and same thing.

No spell-check for me, either, in 2.5.a5. It just doesn't happen. Plus slightly funky screen redraws of lines in a long document. But far faster than earlier versions.
MikeKazlow

alpha 5 Print bug

Post by MikeKazlow »

I usually have Adobe PDF 7.0 as my default printer. I changed the printer to my Laserjet 4MP and without waiting, hit the enter key so that the printer would start printing. The page printed, BUT all the spaces came out as open left parenthesis and various other print character glitches occured. Reprinting the page, but waiting for the full dialog box to appear and clicking on the print key took care of the problem.

But for those of us who are a bit on the impatient side or running a macro package this could be a problem.

Mike
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

drjdg wrote: Anyone know why this issue has crept into 2.5a5? The spelling window worked well in 2.5a4.
This was a bug we accidentally introduced that affects several menu based text operations. For instance, if you use the menus directly (eg: with your mouse, not a keyboard shortcut) you will find that copy, paste, select all, spelling do not work.

Sorry about this, but it's been fixed internally already and spelling should be working just fine in the next build we release.
drjdg

Funky Spell Checker

Post by drjdg »

martin wrote:Sorry about this, but it's been fixed internally already and spelling should be working just fine in the next build we release.
Thanks Martin .... it's always reassuring to know that y'all are on the ball.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

The latest alpha of Nisus Writer Express 2.5 is out. New in this version is the ability to create custom palette groups.

Download it from the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/sneakpeek/">Sneak Peek</A> page.

Enjoy!
jwx1

a6

Post by jwx1 »

Scrolling dropouts reported earlier are gone. Bravo.

a6 does not use the default template, either when first opening, or when 'new' be selected from the menu.
Have gone into prefs to edit the newfile template: template is correct,(yes, have redefined and saved) but the actual newfile opened is not.

eg: side margins in template 125, 125
side margins in newfile are 72,72.

Release version does this all correct.

Overall feel of a6 is good.
Thanks for your hard work.

John
jwx1

ligatures a6

Post by jwx1 »

Still am not seeing any ligatures with typing or menu command unless pasted text already contains them confirmed in another text editor.

Yes, the fonts I'm using have full ligatures.

eg: I copy some internet news story into tex-edit plus (not text edit) to cleanup. One button 'cleanup document'.
Ligatures automatically appear. paste into a6, (or Mellel) ligs are there.
Copy same story into a6, no ligs. Menu command ligatures, no ligatures.

Same result w/ typed copy (no pastes)

Same result in 2.1.3

iMac G5, tiger10.4.1, 1G.160G
Generic Postscript 3 print driver to laser printer
(same result w/ inkjet Epson R200)
Cocoapastor

Can’t Open docs in Manager in alpha 6

Post by Cocoapastor »

I can’t open any documents in the doc manager in alpha 6. Nor can I change the default new document.[/i]