what happened to plain text?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
lindalinda

what happened to plain text?

Post by lindalinda »

I used to be able to use Apple-T to make all text plain text (i.e., get rid of bold, italics and underlining all at once). There is no longer a Plain Text menu item and Apple-T brings up a font window. The only way to get rid of unwanted formatting now is to click Bold or Underline twice, first making everything bold (or underlined), then making everything not bold (or underlined).

I want to be able to do it in one step again. How do I do it?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I haven't used Nisus Writer (pre OS X), so I don't know how simple it was to remove formatting from all text. Here's the simplest way I know how in Express.

* Select all text (command-A).

* Click the tag at the bottom of the window that looks like a black, underlined "a".

* In the resulting menu, click "Remove Font."

This gets rid of bold, italic, font size and so forth, but not font color. That's a separate tag that appears only if you have applied color to your text.

Note that you can use the same tag menu to select text that matches the font attributes of the current text. "Select Range" selects all contiguous text with the same font attributes. "Select All" selects all text in the document with the same font attributes.
Matze

Re: what happened to plain text?

Post by Matze »

lindalinda wrote:The only way to get rid of unwanted formatting now is to click Bold or Underline twice, first making everything bold (or underlined), then making everything not bold (or underlined).
This MSWordish, isn't it?

Give us back COM-T!

Matze
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I just thought of another solution that would work in cases where you are dealing only with text (presumably not tables and so forth, though I haven't tested this).

Select your text, cut or copy, and then paste it with Edit > Paste > Paste Text Only. As long there is no formatting applied at the location of your insertion point when you paste, it should paste as plain text.

I use Paste Text Only so often that I've assigned it a Menu Key (command-option-shift-V).

I hope this is simpler.

--Craig
Matze

Post by Matze »

Do you remember the Any Any Any Macro in NW Classic?

I used it with the Shortcut COM AAA. Very handy, ultrafast and ... OS9

Will we ever have such strong tools again in NWE?

Best, Matze