Rearranging folders

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
Neil Hughes

Rearranging folders

Post by Neil Hughes »

I'm currently up to 18 folders in NE and I'd like to rearrange them - the order they appear in the Email menu is the order they're added in Edit->Filters. Is it safe to edit the "Email Filters" file, i.e. is the format as straightforward as it looks? :) Has anyone done this?

I hope it's possible because the thought of having to remove and reinstate the folders using Edit->Filters every so often seems a little long-winded.

Before I proceed any further regarding file formats, I'd better stop and see if anyone from Nisus would rather I discuss this off-list :D

Neil
ljcole

rearranging folders

Post by ljcole »

Neil,

I don't know if you got your question answered, but at as far as I know, there is no easy way to rearrange folders in Nisus Email.

I have 30 + folders and the only ways I've found to alter the order is either to manually (and CAREFULLY) edit the "email filters" file, or to rebuild the folder list from scratch.

I'm not 100% certain but I think there is a chance of losing files with the second method. It's been quite a while since I've had to rearrange my email folders, and I wound up doing it by hand.

Hope this helps.

Len
Neil Hughes

rearranging folders

Post by Neil Hughes »

Yeah, I did the same - edited various text configuration files - I can't quite remember what exactly and I'm away from the machine with Nisus Email on it (I don't use it anymore except to read old mail). I think I got some help from Nisus support, but if I remember correctly I then found that the unread messages indicator (the dot next to the folders in the drop down menu) didn't follow the moved folders so I set everything back.

Neil
James1003

Rearranging Folders

Post by James1003 »

Neil:

It's easy. Go to "Applications: Nisus Email Folder:Nisus Email Files". The latter is the folder you need. Inside this folder you will find a file called "Email Filters". Open this file (it's a text file so any word processor will do). There you will find all the folders with their ID numbers. Rearrange the folders, changing their location (ID Nos.) to conform to the order you need. That's it.
Neil Hughes

Re: Rearranging Folders

Post by Neil Hughes »

Hello,

I thought I'd dig out NE and check what exactly went wrong with my first attempt at doing this (never got around to exporting my mail from NE - no other mail client appears to import it's pretty simple format and I have too much proper programming work to do before I can tackle this myself :-) ).

It would appear that I got the folders rearranged but the unread indicator (the dot that appears next to the folder) did not follow the move. So if prior to rearranging the folders the 9th one had unread content, NE still told me the 9th one had unread content even after I'd moved everything around.

Never mind - not important anymore because I had to move to another mail client due to NE's limitations. Shame....I still admore the application's ability to keep out of my way and not take up screen estate.

Neil