Endnotes not Showing

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Daniel Siegel

Endnotes not Showing

Post by Daniel Siegel »

I just began working with Nisus 3 and the first thing I've seen is that the endnotes which I had showing at the end of each section are no longer visible. I can see them if I create a split view and then clicking on the number will move the cursor between text and note as it always did before. Is this the new way of placing endnotes or can I still see them at the end of the section the way I did with the previous version? If I click on the note number while just showing text, the click does nothing.
Thanks in advance.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Endnotes not Showing

Post by martin »

Hi Daniel: although the new split view feature in version 3 is very nice for editing footnotes and endnotes (you can actually do so in Draft View now too), it is not a requirement. You should still be able to see your endnotes in Page View wherever you expect them to appear, at the end of each section or the whole document, depending on your Note style options.

I just tested in a relatively complex document and section endnotes still appeared at the end of each section. Would you be able to send us your problematic document privately for testing? Using the menu Help > Send Feedback is normally best. We can delete your file when we're done looking at the potential problem.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the trouble.
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Thanks for replying, Martin. Perhaps before I send you the file, which is long and entirely in Hebrew, let me throw in something I just learned.

If I copy a single section and paste it into a new file, the endnotes show up though without my formatting. If I made a copy of the entire file, or selected the entire file and then pasted it into a new document, the endnotes will show if I do a split view, but not at the end of each section. And, when the notes are not showing, clicking on the number of the note does nothing. If I have the split view, then the numbers work as they should.

I'm happy to send the entire file, but maybe there's a clue here?
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

I think I've found a key, Martin (and I've sent you the entire file.
I made a change in the way the endnotes show and that restored them to the first three sections, but not the fourth. But there was a section break between what are chapters three and four of this book, but no notes to chapter three. When I changed the section break to a page break, the notes to chapter four also returned.
While this does solve my problem for now, it would be interesting to know why the inserted, no endnote section, made that difference.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Daniel sent us an example document privately that showcased the bug. It appears to be a new problem in version 3 with showing section endnotes in certain situations. We're investigating the problem further so we can work on getting it fixed. Thanks Daniel!