Show extensions for hyperlinked files?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ssampler

Show extensions for hyperlinked files?

Post by ssampler »

I often insert hyperlinks to external files. My preferred method is to copy from the finder and paste into the NWP document (cmd-c, cmd-v), but no matter how I do it the link shows only the file name. Is there a way to show the extension as well?

Thanks
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
Roger

Re: Show extensions for hyperlinked files?

Post by Roger »

From p. 229 of the manual:

Add a hyperlink to any file on your connected hard drive(s)
1. Select the text to which you want to add the link.
2. Choose the menu command Insert > Hyperlink > Add Link to File….
A variant of the Open dialog appears
3. Locate and select the item to which you want to link.
4. Click Insert Hyperlink.
☞ More information about these kinds of links is available in the discussion about how to open
various files on page 2.
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

I apologize for not making myself clearer. My use case is somewhat unorthodox. I don't add hyperlinks to text snippets; I just have links which are the file names. In detail: I keep statistical research logs in NWP tables. There are separate columns for the name of the command file, the dataset name, and other details. So, for example, a Stata command file has extension ".do" and the name of the first file in a project might be "p01.do". The result of the copy & paste into a table cell is "p01."

I'd like the extensions to show. Why? Because I'd like also to copy the results file generated by "p01.do" into the table cell in one operation. However the results file shares the same base name but has a ".log" extension, so the links look the same.
Last edited by ssampler on 2018-03-26 08:16:32, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

I suppose it’s not as simple as editing the file name extension after you paste it into Nisus, right?
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

I did try that, Roger, thanks, but I wanted to streamline the process. The results file name is specified in the command file. Ultimately I solved the problem by tweaking the BBEdit clipping that inserts the file name into the command file: I added an asterisk to the base name. It's an obvious solution, but I didn't consider it because I was too attached to my long-time convention.
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

Glad you got it!