Export to RTF issues

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
agilefalcon

Export to RTF issues

Post by agilefalcon »

I created a newsletter complete with photos. I exported to RTF and sent to the printer. What came back was a document without any photos. I checked in the RTF file, and none of the inserted pictures was included.

What's wrong with the RTF export? I've never had this happen on other programs.

It cost me a lot of time and a newsletter without pictures isn't much fun.
Þorvarður

Re: Export to RTF issues

Post by Þorvarður »

agilefalcon wrote:I exported to RTF […]
Why exporting? Are you saying that you used the menu command "Export As…" from the File menu, and then chose the file format "Rich Text Format (for older applications"?
Normally one would *save* (not export) the document in the file format "Rich Text Format (RTF)".

Having said that, do you see the pictures in the upcoming dialog box when you choose "Print…" from the File menu? In this dialog box you should be able to flip through the document and see the pictures.
Now click on the *PDF* button instead of the "Print" button in the dialog box and choose "Open PDF in Preview". Do you see the pictures in the PDF?
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

Ah, this is one of those rare cases where file format is important.

RTF does not save images. RTFD, however, does. You cannot use the File|Export command to save as RTFD, but if you just Save As and save it as a RTFD document, you can send that document (it's actually a directory) and all your images will be preserved and sent to the other person.

Any modern program should open RTFD files.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Vanceone wrote:Ah, this is one of those rare cases where file format is important.

RTF does not save images. RTFD, however, does. You cannot use the File|Export command to save as RTFD, but if you just Save As and save it as a RTFD document, you can send that document (it's actually a directory) and all your images will be preserved and sent to the other person.

Any modern program should open RTFD files.
I have to disagree. I have never knowingly had a problem with an RTF file saved by NWP and containing images which wouldn't open fully, including the images, in Word or Libre/Open/NeoOffice—though I'll check that. On the other hand, the only apps that I know to have worked with RTFD are NWP and earlier versions of Pages.

But the OP absolutely shouldn't use the "Export As RTF (for older applications)" as that presumably creates vanilla RTFs, equivalent to opening and saving in TextEdit, which will strip images, footnotes, etc.

Mark

EDIT: Checked in NeoOffice—Mac native version of OpenOffice—and NWP saved RTF opens perfectly well with images intact. :)
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Files containing pictures and saved as regular RTF (not exported as) from within NWP, will be opened with the pictures intact even with MS Word.
Peter Edwardsson
ptram

Post by ptram »

As a side note, I wouldn't send an editable document to the printer, but a PDF file (if you can choose, with embedded fonts). You will be sure they will print exactly what you sent them.

Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

As others have said, RTF absolutely supports images. I don't know why your images would have gone missing after sending the document to the printer. If you're still having trouble, please let us know.

However, it really is best if you just send your file to the printer using PDF. That's much more reliable. PDF is a file format designed to exactly preserve the look and layout of your document, no matter where it goes.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

When you imported the image, was “Link to file” checked?

Henry