NWP to Word conversion tampers with style

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
fgvs

NWP to Word conversion tampers with style

Post by fgvs »

Dear All,

I'm a new user. I just had my first experience exporting a smallish document with just simple headings and Bookends-inserted references to Word, and I'm a bit baffled. When exporting my document to Word, and also when simply saving a copy of the file as a Word document, NWP tampered with my basic text style. In both cases (export to .docx, save as .doc), the new document has the paragraph options "keep paragraph together" and "keep with next paragraph" activated. Line numbers are also activated. (None of these features are activated in the original document.) My question is, why would the NWP export-to-word and save-as-word processes mess with style options?

Does anyone have a clue on how to prevent this sort of thing from happening? I had to import the .docx document into Pages in order to deactivate the "keep paragraph together" and "keep with next paragraph" options, and then export the document back to Word. But this workaround is not something I would want to keep doing as a matter of routine...

Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Francisco
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP to Word conversion tampers with style

Post by martin »

Hello Francisco,

I'm sorry you've had trouble opening your Nisus Writer documents in Microsoft Word. For the best fidelity I recommend that you use file formats offered by the "Save As" menu command. If you use the "Export As" command there are more opportunities for inconsistencies.

That said, it sounds like you already tried using the "Save As" menu to save using the .doc file format. That should not introduce the errors you described (problems with line numbering and paragraph "keep with" layout options). I just did a simple test and did not observe any issues when opening a Nisus Writer .doc file in Word. Can you please send us a sample document that exhibits the problems? You can post it here or send it to us privately using the menu Help > Send Feedback. It would also be helpful to know what version of Word you're using. Thanks for your help!
fgvs

Post by fgvs »

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your swift response. I just sent you the original RTF file along with the exported DOCX and the saved-as DOC files, which I produced this morning and faithfully reproduced the problem. I'm looking forward to hearing from you on this matter. Thanks!

Francisco
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for communicating with us on this matter privately Francisco. For the benefit of anyone else that might encounter this behavior in the future, here's what we learned:

1. Creating RTF and DOC files with Nisus Writer Pro using the “Save As” menu produces correct results: all paragraph layout options were correctly preserved in Microsoft Word and Apple Pages.
2. Opening these same RTF and DOC files in LibreOffice triggers the problem. LibreOffice does not correctly read these paragraph layout options. That’s a bug or deficiency in their document import.
3. Creating DOC or DOCX files with Nisus Writer Pro using the "Export As" menu also triggers the problem. The export process uses our LibreOffice-based converter, which suffers the same problem as LibreOffice. Hopefully we can improve this in the future.