Soft Hyphen

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
useeger

Soft Hyphen

Post by useeger »

In the example attached below one can see two normal hyphens (automatic hyphenation) and a soft hyphen which was necessary in that position to avoid a wrong hyphenation (German hyphenation ist still not reliable at all). This third hyphen is obviously taken from another font. The text is Adobe Jenson but this hyphen not. Is there a way to change it also to Adobe Jenson?

If a select the wrong hyphen, the entry AJenson in the font menu is red.

Thanks for help
Ulrich
Attachments
Soft hyphenation (third hyphen) with wrong font
Soft hyphenation (third hyphen) with wrong font
Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-27 um 18.20.39.png (16.06 KiB) Viewed 12988 times
xiamenese

Re: Soft Hyphen

Post by xiamenese »

Yes, the red AJenson means another font is being substituted. That's weird, because Adobe Jenson Pro includes soft-hyphens among its glyphs, so why is a substitute being called for? I have no idea.

But I'd simply try highlighting that soft-hyphen, maybe including a bit of the surrounding text, then clicking in the font menu and deliberately choosing Adobe Jenson Pro from that. It should change, and the font box should turn black.

But I'll leave it to others to try to explain why an unnecessary font substitution is taking place.

Mark.
useeger

Post by useeger »

xiamenese wrote: But I'd simply try highlighting that soft-hyphen, maybe including a bit of the surrounding text, then clicking in the font menu and deliberately choosing Adobe Jenson Pro from that. It should change, and the font box should turn black.
Already tried it. If I select the surrounding the entry in the font menu stays red no matter what font name I enter
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi – 

what way do you enter Soft-Hyphen? Did you try via PopChar – the Soft-Hyphen glyph seems to be contained in the font, or?

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Again –

the softhyphen thing is completely mixed-up from the very beginning – my customized fonts worked, or worked not, I never knew. I just find out my good old TrueTypeFonts don't work, but generating OpenTypeFonts from the same database works for me now – again! My fonts have the same glyphs for hyphen & softhyphen with the correct Unicode points – Fontographer on Mavericks done. Now I wonder about Yosemite & El Capitan…

HE

Mavericks, Yosemite & El Capitan are all fine…

https://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/shy.html
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
useeger

Post by useeger »

Elbrecht wrote:Hi – 
what way do you enter Soft-Hyphen? Did you try via PopChar – the Soft-Hyphen glyph seems to be contained in the font, or?
HE
Added it through Nisus menu "Insert > Special Characters > Dashes and Hyphens > SoftHyphen".

I don't have PopChar.

I don't know wether the Soft-hyphen glyph is contained in the font. It's an old one, perhaps not (?)
Maybe I should try another font ... but Adobe Jenson is soooo beautiful.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi –

chances are, that some fonts will do – I did some trying too. It looks like Apple's text engine supports this feature in "smart" OpenType Fonts – just generating alternative ".otf" files did the trick. I customized my old MT fonts around the year 2000 – so old fonts are still ready for a (right) change. I would not like too miss MT Joanna SIR any time…

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

useeger wrote:……I don't know wether the Soft-hyphen glyph is contained in the font. It's an old one, perhaps not (?)
Maybe I should try another font ... but Adobe Jenson is soooo beautiful.
I have Adobe Jenson Pro and it does include the soft hyphen (I checked using the "Show Emoji and Symbols" in the flag menu) but if you have an old version of Adobe Jenson maybe that doesn't. Mind you, I can't remember which App came with the font.

Mark
useeger

Post by useeger »

xiamenese wrote:I checked using the "Show Emoji and Symbols" in the flag menu
Good hint. I checked it too and saw that my old Jenson does not have a soft hyphen. OK, now I understand.

Thank you all for help

Ulrich