v2.1 beta 3: file opening oddity

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
credneb

v2.1 beta 3: file opening oddity

Post by credneb »

Some days ago using a pre-beta 3 version of 2.1, I opened an RTF file saved by Nisus 3 or 4 (yes, a long time ago) only to have it display as garbage. Knowing that can't be right, I closed the document, confirmed it was RTF from info in the Finder, and opened the file again by clicking Open in the file dialog. This time it was OK. Displayed as expected. Odd, but didn't think about it again.

Using beta 3, I just opened a different RTF file from last fall by double-clicking on the file name in the Open dialog. The file opened as garbage, or more particularly, showing all the RTF code with the document text. Knowing _that_ can't be right, closed the file and opened it again -- this time by clicking the Open button. File displayed as expected.

I vaguely remember opening the old Nisus file by double-clicking on it in the Finder.

I cannot reproduce the above at will. But there seems to be crossed wires somewhere in the file opening process. I'm only writing because I can't remember this ever happening before in any version of Nisus. And now it has twice in a few days.

Using OSX 10.9.5.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: v2.1 beta 3: file opening oddity

Post by martin »

That sounds just like a bug that was assumed fixed in Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) version 2.1.1, public beta 1. The problem was that the option to "ignore rich text commands" would incorrectly be checkmarked in the Open dialog for some file formats. However, that bug is believed to be fixed in all the NWP 2.1.1 public betas.

One possible explanation: do you have any older versions of NWP on your Mac? If so, is it possible that one of them is being incorrectly launched? I'm specifically thinking of the scenario where double-clicking a .rtf file in the Finder will automatically choose which NWP to launch– perhaps an older version is being chosen. That's definitely been an issue for users before, though OSX is a lot better about it these days. To test that theory: the next time you see the problem, use the menu "About Nisus Writer Pro" to verify that you're using the latest public beta.

Thanks for your help.
credneb

Post by credneb »

I don't remember exactly the first time, but it was most likely beta-1, and when it happened yesterday, I was double clicking on the filename from the Open dlg presented by beta 3 -- not from the Finder.

It it happens again, I'll send the logs.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We've just officially released a final version of Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.1 that fixes this problem.