How to turn off hyphenation for good?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ninjagame

How to turn off hyphenation for good?

Post by ninjagame »

From the very start of NWP, I had troubles with (German) hyphenation. A very useful macro fixed the problem and I've been using the macro (and NWP) happily and gratefully since then.
However, since upgrading to OS 10.10.1 (I think), the hyphenation engine seems to make trouble again, forcing hyphens at points I don't want them and not inserting them at points I want them to be. At such points, the macro simply doesn't work. Setting "Hyphenation" to "More often" doesn't solve the problem either but makes it worse. I remember when I brought up the subject for the first time, a Nisus person (I think it was Martin) told me that hyphenation information is provided by Apple's text engine. So there seems to be some kind of setback with Yosemite.
One workaround I've found is turning off (disable) hyphenation via the "View -> Hyphenation" menu and inserting ALL hyphens manually using only the macro. Unfortunately, this works only as long as I keep the document open. Whenever I close the document and re-open it, "Hyphenation" is again set to "Normal" and all my manually inserted hyphens are gone. (When I disable hyphenation again, they're back where I've set them. But I have to to it each and every time I open the document.)
I've found another post in which some aspects of the problem have already been discussed, http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5596.
So, back to the original question: Is there any way to disable hyphenation via "View -> Hyphenation" for good?
Hamid

Re: How to turn off hyphenation for good?

Post by Hamid »

Now, with the release of NWP 2.1, you can set hyphenation to Manual (from View:Hypenation:Manual) which will disable automatic hyphenation; only soft-hyphen characters will be considered.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work for me - at least as far as I've been able to evaluate it in the short time since the release.
When I'm using NWP 2.1 with my machine which is running on OS 10.10.2, setting "Hyphenation" to "Manual" doesn't help. It still refuses to insert hyphens where I want them while forcing hyphens where I don't want them.
In the "Languages" pref panel, I've experimented with the hyphenation settings. For once, I can neither change the "Minimum before hyphen" nor the "Minimum after hyphen" values to, say, "2 characters" or more - or at least I can't save the settings; so whenever I switch to another panel then switch back to the "Languages" panel, the setting has reverted to "1 character". This occurs regardless of the language settings chosen. (I'm using U.S. English as the interface language and German as the language I'm actually writing in. But it doesn't help arranging the language settings consistently - e.g., "all U.S. English" or "all-German".)
But - and that does the trick for me - it's now possible to disable the hyphenation completely and enter ALL the hyphens manually where I want them. This setting is retained when I quit NWP 2.1 and re-open the document. And that's all I want. So basically, I'm happy with the upgrade.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

ninjagame wrote:For once, I can neither change the "Minimum before hyphen" nor the "Minimum after hyphen" values to, say, "2 characters" or more - or at least I can't save the settings; so whenever I switch to another panel then switch back to the "Languages" panel, the setting has reverted to "1 character". This occurs regardless of the language settings chosen.
Thanks for letting us know about this problem. It does seem to be a bug. I'll file it.
it's now possible to disable the hyphenation completely and enter ALL the hyphens manually where I want them. This setting is retained when I quit NWP 2.1 and re-open the document. And that's all I want. So basically, I'm happy with the upgrade.
Wonderful, I'm very glad to hear this enhancement in Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) version 2.1 is working well for you.