Top to bottom Japanese writing

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
sardinops_99

Top to bottom Japanese writing

Post by sardinops_99 »

Can NWP do top to bottom Japanese writing? IOW can it start at the top right of the page and go down to the bottom left? I know it can do right to left but can't see how to do this. Thanks Rod
Groucho

Re: Top to bottom Japanese writing

Post by Groucho »

In a word, no (sorry). Not presently. Maybe they are going to implement it. Who knows? Martin can say.

Greetings, Henry.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, all

One of the Japanese-speaking members will probably answer this question, but I tried an experiment, just out of curiosity. New document, multiple columns, choose “Right to Left” from Sections palette. It does what you want! To get a single character in each row of a column, you will probably have to fiddle with column width, font size and/or kerning.
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
sardinops_99

Post by sardinops_99 »

Thanks! Time's run out on me as I've printed already, but I'll give it a go later. Thanks for your reply
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

adryan wrote:G'day, all

One of the Japanese-speaking members will probably answer this question, but I tried an experiment, just out of curiosity. New document, multiple columns, choose “Right to Left” from Sections palette. It does what you want! To get a single character in each row of a column, you will probably have to fiddle with column width, font size and/or kerning.
The problem with this approach, aside from being a major kludge, is that the punctuation and small kana will all be in the wrong place.
philip