Maximum number of footnotes

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
fdruel

Maximum number of footnotes

Post by fdruel »

Hello all,

My name is Francois. I am a consultant and writer in Paris (France). I have been using Nisus Writer since... 1989 ! Nisus was in vers. 2.x at the time... then I used Nisus 3 and well, today I use Nisus Writer Pro (v2.0.7).

I am currently writing a book. As of today, I have a 172,000 characters document divided into one section (with many page breaks). I just tried to insert a footnote but I am facing a bug : is there a limitation in the number of notes in a document or in a section ? The bug appears when inserting footnote number 60.

Thanks for your help
Francois
Hamid

Re: Maximum number of footnotes

Post by Hamid »

There is no limit to the number of notes you can have in a document.
The only limitation is that note references cannot be inserted inside a table or a textbox.
Assuming that your footnote reference in not inside a table, what actually happens when you insert footnote number 60?
fdruel

Post by fdruel »

Hamid, thanks for answer... after reading the manual, I assumed that also...

Well, I did a number of tests, including numbering by pages and sections. The problem remained :?

And, finally, I used a famous old-school trick : "save as.." my file and give it a new name... and... bingo ! It worked !

I now have more than 60 footnotes... but I think this little bug remains strange

Cheers
Francois
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

My last project (~80,000 words) had around 100 footnotes in each section (chapter) and I never encountered any problems with inserting new footnotes, so I don't think it has anything to do with the number. There must be something else or something else combined with the number of footnotes that's at work.

It might help to submit a problem report or even to let the good Nisus folk examine the document.

Mike