Tables: Change column size without changing table size?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Tom R.

Tables: Change column size without changing table size?

Post by Tom R. »

Hi,

I've just been working with tables in NWP for the first time. I'm trying to resize the table's columns to fit their contents, but when I click and drag a column's border, it also changes the size of the table - making it impossible for me to get the results I want. Is there a way to change a column's size without also changing the table's size?

Thank you,

Tom
ssampler

Re: Tables: Change column size without changing table size?

Post by ssampler »

Dragging's not the way to do this. Open the Tool Drawer (shift -cmd-d) and click the Table group selection button (on top, third from the left ). On top right of the "Table Cells" palette are two square buttons marked with two-way horizontal arrows. The button with an "a" between the arrows will resize the columns to fit the table content but will keep the overall size constant. The one on the right will widen the table. width to fill the available space.

Steve
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Tom R. wrote:I'm trying to resize the table's columns to fit their contents, but when I click and drag a column's border, it also changes the size of the table - making it impossible for me to get the results I want. Is there a way to change a column's size without also changing the table's size?
See this thread http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5566.
ssampler wrote:The button with an "a" between the arrows will resize the columns to fit the table content but will keep the overall size constant.
That might be nice. But that button just causes the table to resize to the content, which may make the overall table much wider or much narrower, depending on the situation.
philip
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Thanks for the correction, Phillip. Very nice macros!
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com