Language when pasting

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
flips

Language when pasting

Post by flips »

Hi!
What controls language when pasting?

I have a document I'm working on. All the text is in Norwegian.
I copy some Norwegian text from another program and paste in NWP.
The pasted text shows up as U.S. English and all the pasted text it marked as wrong by the spellchecker.

How can I control this? :)
flips :)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Language when pasting

Post by martin »

The canonical place for language to come from is as an applied attribute, ie: each bit of text has been formatted with a particular language. However, not all applications allow for such things, or provide that information when saving a file, copy-pasting, etc. In absence of specific language information, Nisus Writer will assume the text is in your dominant OSX system language.

So your solutions are to do one of the following:
1. Adjust your OSX system language order.
2. Paste content as text only. That way the pasted content will assume all formatting of the destination document, including language.

For more on this, you might see this FAQ: How can I prevent the US English language from appearing?
flips

Post by flips »

Ah, thanks. I have a bit of a challenge then, since I prefer English for interface and such, but mainly copy/paste Norwegian ... I'll consider the text only paste (but then I loose some nice colors) ... ;)
flips

Post by flips »

And BTW: What would it take to get a Windows version of Nisus? I have to do some work on Windows these days, and it's painful to not have my fav. word processor available ... :)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

flips wrote:Ah, thanks. I have a bit of a challenge then, since I prefer English for interface and such, but mainly copy/paste Norwegian
That makes some sense. I'll file an enhancement request that we have a separate preference for controlling the language of pasted text. Thanks for the idea!
And BTW: What would it take to get a Windows version of Nisus?
That's honestly not very likely. Nisus Writer is built as a Mac application that leverages many features of OSX, not the least of which is Apple's text engine. It would be quite costly for us to support Windows as well, sorry.
flips

Post by flips »

Thanks! As always: Great support! :)

(I also understand why making a Windows version is not very attractive, but I just had to ask, as Nisus is the only word processor I actually like, and that I don't find annoying ... To bad there ain't nothing like Wine for Windows, running Mac apps on MSWin, full VMWare-hackintosh is a little overkill for one program ...) :P