Best way to strip unused styles? (possible feature request)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
withoutFeathers

Best way to strip unused styles? (possible feature request)

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hi,
As far as I can determine, it's not possible to strip unused styles from a document all-in-one-go.

If not, I believe it should be. I know of other types of programs that allow this (example: Apple Logic has a "select all unused regions" and then "delete unused" function).

I commonly get into a situation where I'm forking a document, ending up with a lot of irrelevant styles that are just in the way. I've got such a fork happening today, and after the fork I only need about 30 of the 90 styles that are currently in the document. It would be very painful to go through and figure out and delete the 60 unused ones manually.

Or, I could perhaps paste all the data into a new document, which will retain only the used styles, but on attempting this I discover that the normal, header, and footer files (at least) don't go along to the new document, so I'll have to figure those out again -- although it does look like the best option at the moment.

Comments/suggestions?

WF
ninjagame

Re: +1

Post by ninjagame »

Good idea!
Working with Adobe InDesign at the office, I've got used to and to like the "select unused styles" and then "delete unused styles" feature.
CrisB

Re: Best way to strip unused styles? (possible feature reque

Post by CrisB »

withoutFeathers wrote:it's not possible to strip unused styles from a document all-in-one-go.
Martin was kind enough to send me this macro a while ago when PASTE had Nisus creating extra copies of styles, even when one was already in the document...

It works as its name suggests: Styles Delete Unused.nwm

Thanks again, Martin.
Cris
Attachments
Styles Delete Unused.nwm
(28.42 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
withoutFeathers

Post by withoutFeathers »

CrisB wrote:
withoutFeathers wrote:it's not possible to strip unused styles from a document all-in-one-go.
It works as its name suggests: Styles Delete Unused.nwm

Thanks again, Martin.
Cris
Great, works!

Thank you.
In case you aren't already planning to, I request this be added to the shipped macros, or put on the menu, in new updates.

wF
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

withoutFeathers wrote:I request this be added to the shipped macros, or put on the menu, in new updates.
If you haven't already done so, and If you'd like this to happen sooner rather than later, then please vote yes on the poll to persuade Nisus to issue more frequent bug-fixes at http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5439

Nisus do listen to numbers, so the more people who support more frequent bug-fixes - say every six months instead of every year - the more likely you are to get it issued sooner than later!

thanks, Cris
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Good suggestion: we should probably include this functionality in Nisus Writer by default, either with a macro or built-in.
CrisB wrote:Martin was kind enough to send me this macro a while ago
Happy to help! A big thanks to Kino on this one too, since I was able to use a lot of code from his excellent "Select By Style" macro.