Chapter numbers

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
anjcarrick

Re: Chapter numbers

Post by anjcarrick »

I would like to go back to Matze's original question about chapter numbers. He says, "I am truly missing NWC's chapter numbers and define numbers dialogue."

Philip suggested setting up a "list type" which numbers across the whole document.

Matze said, though, that he wants "to be able to place these numbers wherever I want, into the text and into the find/replace window."

Martin's response underlines my frustration with the present automatic numbers, saying that they "might not behave exactly as you remember in Nisus Writer Classic."

What I am looking for is a fully customizable automatic number (or Roman numeral, or English letters) that I can place anywhere:
I have an outline that has about 20-30 lines per page, with each line beginning with a section number. Interspersed with these section numbered lines are other lines or paragraphs. What I want to do is place the figure § followed by an automatic number, like this:
§1
§2
§3
followed in each line with text that gives the outline.
AND I want to be able to cut and paste any § line backward or forwards, to have them auto-renumber.

At <http://www.nzdl.org/gsdlmod?e=d-00000-0 ... 9e89.5&x=1>, NWC 4.0.6 describes what it offered:
Numbering and Referencing -- You can set up flexible numbering sequences for chapters, four levels of sub-topics, figures, equations, and tables. Nisus Writer also provides six custom numbering sequences for anything else you might need to number (maps, pie charts, whatever).
I find this function working in MOSX using Word. I find I can copy what I number this way in Word, and that I can paste this into NWP. I also find that I can move these lines around in Pro, but they don't automatically renumber. In order to have them renumber, I have to copy these and paste them back into Word, and THEN they automatically renumber.

Isn't there some way to bring these NWC totally processable automatic numbers into NWP? Along with Matze I say, "I am truly missing NWC's chapter numbers and define numbers dialogue." Like him, I want "to be able to place these numbers wherever I want, into the text and into the find/replace window."

Thanks,
Andy
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

anjcarrick wrote:What I want to do is place the figure § followed by an automatic number, like this:
§1
§2
§3
followed in each line with text that gives the outline.
AND I want to be able to cut and paste any § line backward or forwards, to have them auto-renumber.
But this is exactly what the current automatic numbers (i.e. "List Styles") do. Just define a List style with a number that has § preceding the number and you're in business.

The only thing you can't do with current numbers (which you could do in NW Classic) was to have automatic numbers with arbitrary placement. Something like this:

Item 1 starts here.
Now comes another item and it's number is 2.
The 3rd item is here.

And I'm pretty sure that Word can't do that either. But I also think that that kind of thing is a truly rare situation, and when it occurs it won't need to be automatic.

Finally to the point about translating back and forth between Word and Nisus, maybe Martin can say more. But I think that MS is using internal mechanisms for determining whether certain text should be read as numbering and then adjusting them accordingly. Once such items go out of Word they are just text, so there is nothing automatic about them. It would be completely unreasonable for Nisus to adjust such numbers.
philip
Matze

Post by Matze »

Dear Philip, dear Martin,

will NWP ever make it possible to
hit a shortcut that inserts a chapternumber 1.
write the title of the chapter
hit return
and write the chaptertext
hit return
hit the list shortcut again so that chapternumer 2. is inserted
copy one chaptertitle with its number, place it somewhere else and have the numbers renumbered.

At the moment NWP places another number right at the beginning of the chaptertext, if you don't choose another style.
(In Format - lists - Listenstile bearbeiten (change liststyles) checking or unchecking "Nummerierung über den Dokumenteninhalt fortsetzen" (Continue numbering in the document) makes no difference

Best Matze

PS yes, I am using the macro, that does that, but I'd like to have that option combined with NWPs other listfeatures. (renumbering for example)
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

You can absolutely do this already:

1) set up your heading styles, based on a list style with appropriate numbering;
2) set it to be followed by your "Normal?Body/whatever" style that you want to follow headings;
3) set the shortcut you want to use in the box in the dialog—one of the really great things about NWP is you can use multi-key shortcuts, so my "Heading 1" style has the shortcut 'Cmd-h,1' making it easy to remember.

See attached image: NB, I don't include numbering in my headings by default, because generally I'm importing from Scrivener which sets the numbering during Compile.

Now every time you want a new chapter, you just use your shortcut combination and when you've entered the chapter title text you hit return and you are taken straight into the style you have set for your first paragraph.

Mark
Screenshot 2016-11-06 12.39.27.png
Screenshot 2016-11-06 12.39.27.png (39.51 KiB) Viewed 8492 times
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Basically as Mark explains, but just to be clear, I would recommend attaching your chapter numbering style to the Heading styles. That way the numbering is inserted automatically. I think Mark is saying that, but his pix doesn't show it.
(I also note that Martin's earlier sample doc didn't do that.)

Here is my sample doc, as an image:
Auto_numbered_Chapter_Doc.jpg
Auto_numbered_Chapter_Doc.jpg (49.47 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
In writing the above, I work as follows:
  1. I use the short-cut <cmd>1 to get Heading 1 style ==> The number 1. is inserted.
  2. I type the text of the heading and press <return>
  3. Now in Normal style I type the text of the chapter
  4. I use the short-cut for the next chapter or section heading ==> the appropriate number is inserted.
  5. I type the text of the heading and press <return>
  6. And so on…
Notice that the headers also appear in the Navigator TOC.

And here is the sample file:
Auto-numbered_Chapter_Doc.rtf
(20.61 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
philip
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Yes, I am saying to attach a numbering style to the chapter headings; it's just that for the reason I gave, I don't want NWP to do the numbering.

The easiest way to set up such a chapter style is:
1) make a new paragraph;
2) set the font, variant—bold, etc.—and size using the Character palette;
3) set the justification, space before, space after and 'Keep with Next'—so that you don't get a heading orphaned at the bottom of a page—using the Paragraph palette;
4) set the numbering type you want from the Lists palette;
5) on the Styles palette, click the + sign at the bottom and choose 'Paragraph Style based on Selection', that will take you to the screenshot in my last post where you give it a name, set the next paragraph style and your shortcut;
6) click on 'Save to Style Library…' and save it appropriately so that you can import it into any new or existing documents; even your "Nisus New File" can be edited to include it automatically in all new documents.

Mark
Matze

Post by Matze »

Dear Mark and Philip,

oops (cos I didn't find out by myself), hurrah (cos it works) and thanks a lot!

Best, Matze