Footnotes

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Jester

Footnotes

Post by Jester »

More posts!

It'd be cool if Nisus didn't separate a long footnote, i.e. if there's a long footnote I'd like it to stay in the same page as the number.

Thanks,

/Daniel
xiamenese

Re: Footnotes

Post by xiamenese »

Hi,

Does setting the "Multipage Threshold" under the "Footnote" style in the style editor not solve your problem? If you increase the number of lines or measurement, you should be able to set it so that your long footnotes can stay on one page.

Mark
Phebe

Post by Phebe »

I am having the exact same problem! Changing the line threshold in the style palette does not seem to make a difference.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

You can have a really long footnote by using the “Keep ¶ together” option like in the example here, where the body is just one line, the rest being a long footnote:
ReallyLongFootnote.gif
ReallyLongFootnote.gif (40.66 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
However, the “Keep ¶ together” option is dimmed for the note style and cannot be applied to it alone, and as the note style itself is generally based on your Normal style, applying “Keep ¶ together” to Normal style (to apply it to the note style dependant on it) is rather awkward.
A workaround is to create a duplicate style of Normal, say Normal1, which will not be used in the body of the document. Add the “Keep ¶ together” attribute to Normal1, and make your Footnote style be based on Normal1. Then, the “Keep ¶ together” attribute will automatically apply to Footnotes and keep a long footnote (which is less than one page long) on the same page.
Phebe

Post by Phebe »

I am now able to get the footnotes to stay together.

I tried changing the footnote style to Normal 1, which I set to include "Keep ¶ together." In cases where there was a single note in the footer, it seemed to stay together. In cases of two notes, it would still split the second note.

I tried changing the multi-page threshold in the footnote style. I currently have it set to 180 pt 200 lines. I just kept increasing it until even my longest footnote stayed together. This seems to work, however, it creates a new problem.

Now, I have big white spaces above my footnotes. I have had this problem before, and usually closing the doc and reopening would make the gaps go away. Now it does not.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Phebe wrote:Now, I have big white spaces above my footnotes. I have had this problem before, and usually closing the doc and reopening would make the gaps go away. Now it does not.
In that case you will have to allow a long footnote near to the white space to split by removing the "Keep ¶ together" attribute. This is done by reapplying "Keep ¶ together" from the Format:Paragraph menu.

Actually, there is no need for the workaround I suggested. The three paragraph attributes: Prevent widow/orphan, Keep ¶ together, and Keep with next ¶, can be applied independently. There are two bugs which led me to believe otherwise:

1. When the cursor is placed in the Footnote field, or when the Footnote style is viewed in the Style sheet, those three paragraph attributes in the Tooldrawer under the formatting palette group are dimmed. They should not be dimmed as they are still available from the Format menu.

2. When the Footnote style is viewed in the Style sheet, the same three paragraph attributes can be applied from the Format:Paragraph menu, but none of the bubbles corresponding to any of these three attributes applied appear in the Footnote style in the Style sheet. Nevertheless, the attribute applied is included in the defined Footnote style. (In the absence of a bubble, the only way to know if an attribute is included in the Footnote style is to see the check mark (✓) in the corresponding Format:Paragraph menu.)

If most of your footnotes happen to be long, let "Keep ¶ together" be part of the defined paragraph attribute and then decide which long footnote is allowed to split by reapplying "Keep ¶ together" from the Format:Paragraph menu.