Can't use Find Previous when using Here to End in Find/Repla

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
CrisB

Can't use Find Previous when using Here to End in Find/Repla

Post by CrisB »

hi,

I generally need to see how many instances there are of my keywords, for example "change anyword life", there are from my initial starting point - the title: My Text - to the end of the file.

This works as set, but having found one or more, I want to go back to the starting point to fill in the count and then look for the next keyword. But as soon as I move to the next occurrence, NWP disallows Find Previous in the Find-Replace window. So each Find resets the starting point rather than leave it as originally set. Hence NWP refuses to let me go back.

So this is to request a change: please stop greying out Find Previous. I can understand why logically it might be thought correct, but your users are intelligent, and if they want to Find Previous, then please let them do this.

This unnecessary restriction has existed forever, does anyone else find such restrictions, err... unnecessary? Rather assume we do know what we're doing please.

Thanks, Cris
Attachments
Table to update with the # count for each key in my text
Table to update with the # count for each key in my text
NWP How many keys in text.png (32.91 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Can't use Find Previous when using Here to End in Find/R

Post by martin »

I think enabling "Find Previous" makes some sense, but only after the 2nd "Find Next". That would allow the user to return to prior matches, while still staying within the current "Here to End" bounds. I'll file it as an enhancement request, thanks.

In the meantime, you might use the menu Edit > Select > Previous Selection to return to prior found matches. That command is also accessible using a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut.
CrisB

Re: Can't use Find Previous when using Here to End in Find/R

Post by CrisB »

Thanks, Martin, that enhancement would work very nicely.
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net