cursor shape

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Ruchama

cursor shape

Post by Ruchama »

I have several NWP files opened simultaneously on the screen. This computer still has 1.4 version. I see a strange behavior which I would like to figure out:

In some of the files, when the mouse crosses the border line of the document, the cursor changes automatically to "border change" shape (without clicking). In other files, I have to click on the border line for the cursor to change. the second behavior is preferred to me. But I would like to know why is the behavior not identical to all files, and how can I control it..

any clues? thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: cursor shape

Post by martin »

Hi Ruchama- when you say "border line", do you mean the page/paper margins? We call those "page guides" and can be shown/hidden using the menu View > Pages Guides.

You can see on that View menu we provide a "Lock Page Guides" command, which lets one prevent accidental alteration/dragging of the margin guides. When I first read your post, I thought that perhaps you had locked the guides in some files, but not others. However, since you say that clicking/dragging lets you change the guides, regardless of whether the mouse cursor changes or not, I suppose that's not what is going on here.

Before we continue exploring possibilities, let me confirm: are you talking about page guides, or something else?
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

Yes. these are the page guides (on left and right) and the are gone when using this command.

There is nothing that was deliberately fixed on these files. The difference is not in the ability to change, but in the way the cursor changes its icon. once several files are open, side by side, if the mouse is moved from file to file, crossing the page guides, the icon changes, and remains so until you click in the text, when it changes back to the insertion I.
This computer has NWP 1.4 and snow leopard.

On another computer, with lion and NWP 2, the cursor does change automatically, but once it 2-3mm away from the guide line, it reverts back to the I.

It is not a BIG problem, but it is annoying, as one is concerned whether any of the guides are going to change by moving the mouse further. seems to me like a bug. Unless there is some hidden feature..
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the clarification. One theory: does the problem only occur for inactive documents? In other words, does the cursor just work properly for the frontmost document?