Recover and Show

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
phspaelti

Recover and Show

Post by phspaelti »

I frequently get the "Recover and Show" dialog. I assume this is because I use the an iDisk and my Nisus preferences get synced across computers, and I have autosave turned on. So apparently when I start up Nisus and it can't find the temporary files created on the other machine (which I probably didn't mean to save) it gives me the dialog.
All this is fine, but I can't figure out the results of this dialog. The Document Manager shows a window with lots of "recovered" files, these files are sorted alphabetically and are all marked "No Original". By now the top of this list is pretty familiar to me because it never changes. I guess I should throw these things out, but I'm lazy. So my question is can't this list be sorted by date? That way I would actually have a clue as to what has been "recovered." Overall it would really be nice if this dialog could be improved. I appreciate file recovery after a crash, but this turns the feature into a boy-who-cried-wolf feature.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Recover and Show

Post by martin »

phspaelti wrote:I frequently get the "Recover and Show" dialog. I assume this is because I use the an iDisk and my Nisus preferences get synced across computers, and I have autosave turned on. So apparently when I start up Nisus and it can't find the temporary files created on the other machine (which I probably didn't mean to save) it gives me the dialog.
That's not quite what triggers NWP to show the "recovered files" warning and corresponding area of the Document Manager. NWP will only add files to the recovered files list if it finds lingering files in the "Backups" folder, which is used to store temporary autosave (crash recovery) files. These files should be cleared whenever NWP is quit normally/cleanly.
The Document Manager shows a window with lots of "recovered" files, these files are sorted alphabetically and are all marked "No Original". By now the top of this list is pretty familiar to me because it never changes. I guess I should throw these things out, but I'm lazy. So my question is can't this list be sorted by date?
That's a good point. I'm actually not sure why there's no date column in this display mode. I'll file an issue/enhancement on this, so we add it at some point. Thanks for the suggestion!
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

martin wrote:
phspaelti wrote:I frequently get the "Recover and Show" dialog. I assume this is because I use the an iDisk and my Nisus preferences get synced across computers, and I have autosave turned on. So apparently when I start up Nisus and it can't find the temporary files created on the other machine (which I probably didn't mean to save) it gives me the dialog.
That's not quite what triggers NWP to show the "recovered files" warning and corresponding area of the Document Manager. NWP will only add files to the recovered files list if it finds lingering files in the "Backups" folder, which is used to store temporary autosave (crash recovery) files. These files should be cleared whenever NWP is quit normally/cleanly.
I believe you about the back-ups, but I still get these even though Nisus is not crashing. It seems to happen because of the following sequence of events:
  1. I start a file without naming it
  2. I have auto save turned on so NWP saves a copy with an autogenerated name
  3. Later I decide to save the file and give it some name
Anyhow my "Recovered" folder (which is located on the iDisk) is full of early versions of files I later kept and named something else. In the Document Manager they are listed as "No Original".
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

1. I start a file without naming it
2. I have auto save turned on so NWP saves a copy with an autogenerated name
3. Later I decide to save the file and give it some name
I'm not sure what to make of your experience. When I try your sequence of steps, NWP does make a temporary backup of the unsaved file with an automatically generated name:
Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 2.23.25 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-02-27 at 2.23.25 PM.png (27.19 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
But that is cleared away (deleted) after I explicitly save the file and close the document window (or quit NWP).

I wonder if iDisk is somehow preventing the removal of the temporary autosave file. Could you please submit a feedback report after reproducing the problem? Perhaps some kind of error will have been logged. If not, then it might be helpful if you tried your sequence using a local Documents Manager folder, instead something on your iDisk.