export image to MS word

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Ruchama

export image to MS word

Post by Ruchama »

This problem has been bugging me for a long time, but now it became acute. I would be happy to hear whether anyone has a working solution:
I have a nisus file, written in hebrew, if it matters. The file contains several images, of various types: jpg, tiff, pdf, etc. All my efforts to read this file in Word (pc version) resulted in a file that contains the text, and at most, some mark that shows that "something" is there, in the place of the graphics, but not the image itself. images simply do not appear.
I have tried: changing NWP version (1.4 and 2), two versions of Word (2003 and 2010), saving as doc, dock, rtf. nothing helped.

I tried also creating a new NWP file, containing a single word and a single image. still the same.

does anyone have a solution how to convert to Word an image containing file?

(two obvious solutions are: 1. work with word for such files, 2, convert only the text then paste graphics in WORD.)

Thanks,
Hamid

Re: export image to MS word

Post by Hamid »

Did to try exporting your Nisus file as 'Microsoft Word Format (binary)' from the File:Export As... menu?
It is different from Saving As doc (which is just an RTF file with doc extension).
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

yes, I did. I got only the text, stripped from images (or any sign of them).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The best way to share content between NWP and Word is always RTF. If that isn't transferring the graphics properly, perhaps you can send us an example file privately (or post a sample here), so we can investigate the issue. Thanks!
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

I have sent a sample file . If a solution will be found, I shall update here.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

As a follow-up for those who are interested. If it is needed to convert a file with images, to PC word- images should better be in jpeg format. I guess it is partly due to Word's inability to handle several formats of graphics.

However, it would be a good idea to include somewhere in the nisus manual a warning that formats should be checked in advance... could have saved me some puzzle, and quite a bit conversion work.

Thanks Martin, for replying so fast, and giving me that hint on file formats.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for sending the file along Ruchama. You're right, we should probably mention this in the user guide somewhere.

For the benefit of others: the problem was that the image was in the Mac PICT format. This is an image format that is largely unsupported outside of OSX/Macs. Word for Mac will actually show PICT images inserted into NWP documents, but Word on the PC will not. Switching to any widely supported image file format (eg: JPEG, PNG, etc) will allow Word (on the PC or Mac) to show images inserted into NWP documents.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

Thanks again, Martin.

Actually, I think I did try png and it did not work. but never mind, as long as there is a readily accessible format my problem is solved.

There is still a problem with converting files with graphics from PC word to Nisus, graphics changes its shape and position. I will find a suitable example and send it over sometime soon.

Ruchama