Check Spelling Hell

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Check Spelling Hell

Post by martin »

hatchmo wrote:I cannot conceive of a user who would desire having some documents that pop up with this "feature" on and others with it off, all day long.
Just speaking for myself, I like that inline spellchecking is controlled on a per-document basis. Whether or not I want spellchecking turned on has a lot more to do with the content of the individual document than my working mode. If spelling is important for the document, I'll have inline spellchecking turned on all the time. My intuition is that this works well for most users.

Well, everyone has a different way of working. I'll file a feature request that we add some kind of global override that forces inline spellchecking for all documents.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

martin wrote:
hatchmo wrote:I cannot conceive of a user who would desire having some documents that pop up with this "feature" on and others with it off, all day long.
Just speaking for myself, I like that inline spellchecking is controlled on a per-document basis. Whether or not I want spellchecking turned on has a lot more to do with the content of the individual document than my working mode. If spelling is important for the document, I'll have inline spellchecking turned on all the time. My intuition is that this works well for most users
I completely agree with this. I generally want the spelling off all the time, but for some files, e.g. handouts that I give to students, it is useful to have spelling on so I can see if I have inadvertently misspelled something. So the idea that the current way is some kind of hell is just wrong.

While we are at it, might I suggest another feature? How about allowing the current spelling state to be displayed in the status bar?

Finally another idea. Below is a macro that will turn spelling off in all documents of the chosen folder.

Code: Select all

$folderName = Choose Folder
$folderItems = File.namesInFolderAtPath $folderName
if ! $folderItems.count
die ‘The selected folder is empty’
end
$foundItemsList = Array.new
$stack = Array.new
$stack.push $folderName
while $stack.count
$folderName = $stack.pop
$folderItems = File.namesInFolderAtPath $folderName
foreach $item in $folderItems
$pathName = $folderName.filePathByAppendingComponent $item
$fileInfo = File.infoAtPath $pathName
if $fileInfo{“kind”} == “folder”
$stack.push $pathName
elsif $fileInfo{“hfsCreator”} == “NISX”
if $pathName.filePathExtension == ‘rtf’
$foundItemsList.push $pathName
end
end
end
end
#Debug.log $foundItemsList
foreach $item in $foundItemsList
Open $item
$spellingStatus = Menu State “Check Spelling as You Type”
if $spellingStatus == 1
Menu “Check Spelling as You Type”
Save
end
Close
end
Last edited by phspaelti on 2011-11-30 23:55:46, edited 1 time in total.
philip
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

On thinking again about the previous macro, I realized that the criteria for which files one might want to set the check spelling should perhaps be changed. In my case the Nisus created files include a lot of .doc, .txt and .html files among others. I have now edited the above code to restrict itself to .rtf files.
philip
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

Philip, I can't thank you enough for that macro! You are most helpful.
Al Hatch