Can you move tables "free form" instead of rigit alignment

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
JLSchweitzer

Can you move tables "free form" instead of rigit alignment

Post by JLSchweitzer »

I have to make a seating chart for a lab I run. In this lab, there are 3 long rows, with seats on either side; in effect there are 6 rows. Other instructors who use this same lab have created seating charts using tables that have 2 rows and let's say 16 columns. (This is the best way I can describe it and I hope you get my gist). Anyway, and you may think I'm crazy but for a very brief time, I was able to move the table anywhere on the page that I wanted, sort of like being able to place in free-form. Here's a portion of what I'm trying to create.

☐☐
☐☐
☐☐
☐☐
☐☐
☐☐

However, when I went back to work on it, I wasn't able to move the table anywhere; I could either align the table on the left, middle, or right. I searched the manual but didn't really know how to find what I was trying to do.

S-o-o-o, is there a way to place a table ANYWHERE on the page instead of left, middle, and right?

Thanks!!
phspaelti

Re: Can you move tables "free form" instead of rigit alignme

Post by phspaelti »

This is almost certainly a bug. I am pretty sure that earlier versions of NWP allowed moving tables on the page (though I think there were problems.) Currently I get a "hand cursor" when hovering over the edge of a table, and I can drag the table vertically (!) but not horizontally. Also tables are completely insensitive to line wraps.

One idea for floating a table is to save the table in a document as a pdf, and then insert it into the main document as a graphic.

Another idea is to insert a "dummy column" on the right, and set the borders of those cells to "none".

Obviously both of these ideas are kludges, and have their drawbacks.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The good news is that you're not crazy. Or at least, not because of any imagined table features in NWP :P

One can "free hand" move a table about the interior of a page by grabbing either leading table edge (eg: the left or top edge for a left-aligned table). If you grab the top-left corner you should be able to move the table about both horizontally and vertically. This free-hand adjustment has some drawbacks: you can only move the table within the page margins, the created whitespace won't wrap text inside, and the way it interacts with the table alignment can sometimes be awkward.

One possible solution: place the table in a floating text box. Then you can drag that floating text box anywhere you please.
JLSchweitzer

Post by JLSchweitzer »

Thanks Martin. I am a new-comer to Nisus and i figure the best way to use a new product is to totally immerse yourself in the software. But I must correct you; I am crazy :drunk: because I have decided to use Nisus for my laboratory manual after having used MS Word for many years. Oh, an by the way, I have a deadline. A common saying I use is: "Nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute." And I am living this with the revision of the lab manual. FWIW, I am using Nisus b/c of the dead easy TOC compared to Word.

Oh, and a point of clarification. If you grab the LEFT vertical edge of the table on a Left or Center Aligned Table, you can move the table to the left and right. For a RIGHT aligned table, you have to grab the right vertical edge to move it to the left and right. Similarly, if you grab the TOP horizontal edge of the table, you can move the table up and down.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

JLSchweitzer wrote:Oh, and a point of clarification. If you grab the LEFT vertical edge of the table on a Left or Center Aligned Table, you can move the table to the left and right. For a RIGHT aligned table, you have to grab the right vertical edge to move it to the left and right. Similarly, if you grab the TOP horizontal edge of the table, you can move the table up and down.
That's exactly right, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Good luck with your deadline and craziness!
wawe26

Post by wawe26 »

Hi

As it was mentionned, you can align tables within the margins of the actual paragraph.
But when you move e.g. a tab, you see a lign, so that you can control, where exactly the tab will have its position in regard of existing text.

How can I control, where the left edge of a table will be in regard of existing text, when I move a table?

Thanks for inputs

Peter
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Your best bet seems to be to scroll the table so it is right below the ruler.

But I would like to add my voice to those who would like to see interfaces for these things that can be controlled numerically. Not just the placement, but how about column width and row heights too.
philip
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

phspaelti wrote: But I would like to add my voice to those who would like to see interfaces for these things that can be controlled numerically. Not just the placement, but how about column width and row heights too.
I would second this request!!!!
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990